hf1

What can I use on limescale?

My avatar
Asta
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

What can I use on limescale?

Postby Asta » Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:29 am

I have a cleaner who is great and saves me the stress of regular cleaning but she's not one for scrubbing :giggle:

The sink in my downstairs cloakroom is getting quite bad with limescale, I usually buy Viakal but it's potent stuff and I'd rather use something a bit more natural.

Any suggestions?

My avatar
Nappy_Addict
Clothie
Clothie

Re: What can I use on limescale?

Postby Nappy_Addict » Mon Jul 22, 2013 10:02 am

You can buy citric acid from any chemist or health food shop. Comes in granule form mix in a trigger bottle with some water a spray & leave for a bit before scrubbing. Or try white vinegar - same process. Both are excellent & work well on glass shower doors or stainless steel sinks too. Good luck :-)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:06 pm

I was also going t suggest white vinegar, interesting about the citric acid though as I now have that in for making cleaning supplies so interesting that it works as well, I guess that they are both similar acids.

My avatar
usinukveg
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby usinukveg » Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:27 pm

I also use vinegar. If there's scale around the tap, just soak a cloth in vinegar, tie it around the area and leave overnight. I also use a plastic bag around the cloth so that it doesn't dry out.

Wouldn't work for sinks, but if you descale your kettle with vinegar, you can just pour it back into its bottle for the next time. Some deposits accumulate at the bottom, but as long as you don't accidentally eat the vinegar, it's fine.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Wed Jul 24, 2013 6:43 am

That's for these tips.... I've fallen in love with white vinegar and its many many uses around the house!

Glad I can buy a huge container for £2.50 at our local Asian supermarket!

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:35 am

docmaggoo wrote:That's for these tips.... I've fallen in love with white vinegar and its many many uses around the house!

Glad I can buy a huge container for £2.50 at our local Asian supermarket!

I do too Jen, I always have a big bottle in! Have you read this post that J did years ago?
viewtopic.php?f=34&t=5402
@docmaggoo

Return to Natural Living and the Environment