Raw milk in birmingham! yaay

My avatar
musdih
Clothie
Clothie

Raw milk in birmingham! yaay

Postby musdih » Sat Feb 28, 2015 5:27 pm

Hi
Went to moseley farmers market in Birmingham today and to my excitement there is now a mild mannered man who runs a stall called 'straight from the cow' selling raw milk cream etc and very reasonably priced too
£3 for 4 pints of whole raw milk. It does not have official organic accreditation but they are a 'semi organic' farm

i thought id share because we have had trouble locating raw milk for the longest time and there may be others in the same boat.

The farm is based in beoley and there is a website of the same name as the stall

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Raw milk in birmingham! yaay

Postby Sunset » Sat Feb 28, 2015 6:14 pm

I didn't know you could buy it, I have only ever got it when I have known the farmer. Are there health benefits to it?

My avatar
musdih
Clothie
Clothie

Postby musdih » Mon Mar 02, 2015 3:29 pm

i have pregnancy fog so i MAY misquote a little but in general yes
A lot of us are allergic to dairy due to pasteurisation - as well as hormone tampering and unnatural feeds of course
but because pasteurisation causes a change in the size and composition of the milk proteins the body has trouble recognising and digesting the milk.
furthermore all the good bacteria are destroyed in the process as well as any possible bad bacteria.
Pasteurisation was introduced to rid of E coli outbreaks etc - but milk almost always had the bactiera within it to kill such bugs so things usually balanced themselves out.
As with most things in nature - it knows best - and everything has its inbuilt antidote etc
AS we humans tamper with nature without complete knowledge of what we're doing and in essence shoot ourselves in the feet creating an even bigger problem than the one we tried to solve

my eldest son was failing to thrive once he came off breastmilk at 2 yo- after many things we decided to try raw milk as wed researched that pasteurised milk was another case of ' nutritionally deficient calories' loosely speaking
needless to say we never looked back and he is a healthy 5 yo now

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Mon Mar 02, 2015 10:01 pm

That was really interesting, I too hadn't heard of people buying raw (or I suppose unpasteurised?) milk. I live in London so I'm guessing there won't be any source around here but it's definitly something I'll remember should the opportunity arise in the future.

My avatar
musdih
Clothie
Clothie

Postby musdih » Thu Mar 05, 2015 6:05 pm

I do believe London is actually better supplied than Birmingham so you ought to ask around
In fact a couple of years ago selfridges trialled a vending machine system that sold raw milk - It was very popular but due to legalities ( Raw milk can not be openly sold or something of the like) the trial had to be cut short
boooooooooooo! @Dancing mum

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:36 pm

Oh thanks, I'll look into that!

Return to Natural Living and the Environment