Heating?

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Heating?

Postby clothmama » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:00 pm

I was just thinking about heating today (funny that with it being a bit nippy :freezing: :giggle: ). We use wood in an efficient wood burner which keeps the main living area and the bedrooms above really warm, we aren't sure it will be enough when we have opened up into what is currently the entry. We are looking at various options including a rocket mass heater which is incredibly efficient (and just a bit alternative / hippy :giggle: ). Our living space is usually in the early 20s when the fire is on.

How do you heat and what temp do you heat to?

My avatar
autumnalgirl
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Re: Heating?

Postby autumnalgirl » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:25 pm

We have a log burner in the living room which also heats our bedroom. The rest is just traditional boring central heating and me yelling close the door a lot! All the windows at the front need replacing which should help. I've no idea what temp; think the thermostat is set to about 18, but some rooms are probably warmer others definitely cooler!

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Mon Nov 07, 2016 8:38 pm

We have district heating from the local straw heating plant we have floorheating on the ground floor and only on the coldest days need to heat the upstairs. We keep it around 21 degrees I think. Bit our house is new and very well insulated.
Have some friends with a mass heater in a old house and say its really good :thumbsup:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Mon Nov 07, 2016 10:16 pm

The wood burner has got our living up to nearly 24 degrees this evening :shock: shame the rest of the house is about 10 :hohoho: :hohoho: :hohoho:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Tue Nov 08, 2016 8:54 am

10 was a good guess - I put the thermometer out in the entry / hall overnight and it was 10.2 degrees this morning :freezing:

Aeseldyr wrote:We have district heating from the local straw heating plant

That sounds fab @Aeseldyr - Denmark has so many great eco things going on! What are you going to have in your new house? I'd love underfloor heating but tricky to retrofit in an old house. We may put it in our big kitchen when we renovate that part of the barn!

Aeseldyr wrote:Have some friends with a mass heater in a old house and say its really good :thumbsup:

Apparently they have been used for a very long time in many northern countries and work very well.

autumnalgirl wrote:We have a log burner in the living room which also heats our bedroom.

You are lucky you can - haven't a lot of areas in the UK banned them now @autumnalgirl ? It is such a shame as wood heating in a modern burner is very efficient and a renewable resource! You are so right about the windows, we have changed single for double in our past house and between this and last winter in our bedroom and the difference is enormous! The reason we are not even trying to heat our entry / hall stairs is that the roof above is just tiles and we can't get high enough even with our scaffold to insulate it so we have to wait until we get the beams / floor under it in so we can get up there! Beams bought and sat there, just need to find one more piece of wood to join then they can go in and hopefully things will start moving quicker.

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Tue Nov 08, 2016 12:22 pm

Heating? What heating?

We have central heating but it's not great. We all have additional jumpers and slippers :)

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Tue Nov 08, 2016 10:59 pm

We have our central heating set to 18. Sometimes it pushes to 19. Upstairs is cooler.

My avatar
Aeseldyr
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby Aeseldyr » Wed Nov 09, 2016 8:03 am

We are still gonna have the same district heating but combined with solarcells :yahoo: And then the house have to be build under some really strickt rules for low energy buildings so 3 layers of glass and the insulation is gonna be massive. So our challenge is actually gonna be not getting too hot :giggle:

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Nov 09, 2016 11:10 am

Wow that sounds fabulous Marie :thumbsup: @Aeseldyr Imagine if all the countries in the west had laws as strict and central initiatives such as those in DK :shock: the world would be a different place!

Next

Return to Natural Living and the Environment