hf1

Decomposing disposables

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Decomposing disposables

Postby smilinglou » Wed Oct 05, 2011 2:27 pm

So recently I posted about the mushrooms our cloth nappies grew :giggle: and the guy has emailed me so info about a type of mushroom that can bidegrade disposable nappies, he's sent me more info about it and how to do it as I mentioned that maybe our council would like to know about it, not sure if anyone would actually want to try it but if it saves sposies from landfill and there is a nac to it then maybe someone will:

His email:
"The discovery that Pleurotus mushrooms could break down disposable diapers was first published (to my knowledge) in "The Economist". I just want to make clear that this was not my discovery.
The diapers wouldd have to be sterilized to make it possible for Pleurotus to grow on them. That's the "disgusting" part. You'd have to steam or pressure cook these diapers for about 2 hours to make sure they are sterile.
After sterilization you can introduce the Pleurotus ostreatus culture. At a temperature around 25°C (77°F) they should colonize the diaper in what should be 2 months.
I haven't heard of anyone trying this though, so I can't say for certain.

The main point is that Pleurotus is able to break down all the cellulose in the diapers, which is the main ingredient in disposable diapers, and convert it into something organic that is compostable.

You can contact your councils and tell them about this, but I think it requires some effort and money to make this in an effective way of decomposing diapers. You'd need an industrial sized sterilizer at least, which can cost as much as a brand new car. You can make them yourself out of oil barrels, but that would require some hard labor. I can provide you the information on how to make these if you want.

I think it's easier to inform individuals on how to decompose of their own diapers, rather than asking the council to pay for it all.

Toon Van Kets | administrator"

Slightly :puke: but the thought is there and pretty good if it works!

Return to Natural Living and the Environment