hf1

Still looking for natural shampoo & conditioner

My avatar
Mungo
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Still looking for natural shampoo & conditioner

Postby Mungo » Sat Nov 19, 2011 5:12 pm

I've just started using Dr Bronner's liquid Castille soap to wash my hair instead of a commercial shampoo, but it's taking a while for my hair to adjust and it still feels 'rubbery' when I wash it and greasier than usual. Possibly because I'm still using commercial conditioner...

Any recommendations for a natural conditioner? Could I make one? Do I even really need one?

Opinions please... My hair is straight and fairly fine and I usually wash it every other day.
Last edited by Mungo on Wed Nov 30, 2011 10:05 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Natural hair conditioner

Postby monsterm » Sat Nov 19, 2011 7:42 pm

Soap cleans alot differently to chemical filled shampoo. It doesn't need conditioner & to put a conditioner on it will actually make it take longer to adjust.

To get rid of that rubbery feeling, you can do a vinegar rinse (the vinegar rinse will also balance the ph of your hair making it very soft). Do you have an empty shampoo bottle? Put about half an inch of vinegar (white vinegar or apple cider are best) in the bottom of the bottle, fill the rest of the bottle with water. Pour the whole lot over your hair & repeat until you can run your fingers through your hair.

If you have hard water, the calcium deposits in the water combine with the soap to make soap scum. To get rid of this, add a pinch of baking powder to your shampoo in your hand & mix before lathering as normal. The harder the water, the more baking powder you will need to add. You might need to do an extra vinegar rinse afterwards as the baking powder is alkaline & you need to balance the ph of your hair.

Hope that helps. I wash Maddy & Amelie's hair with soap with no problems (Maddy has ALOT of hair). I only have to occasionally do a vinegar rinse on Maddy to soften her hair.

My avatar
Mungo
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Mungo » Sat Nov 19, 2011 8:17 pm

Thanks so much, that's really helpful :thumbsup:

My avatar
gayleygoo
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby gayleygoo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 9:23 am

I found the same when I was using the Dr Bronners soap, because it strips all the chemicals from your hair left by commercial shampoo and conditioner (the chemicals designed to make your hair "feel healthy"). I gave up after a week but if you keep going, your scalp will adjust to the new soap, and produce the right amount of oils etc, and your hair should get back to normal (only cleaner!) I used cider vinegar for a rinse, it smelled just a bit better than white vinegar!

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Mon Nov 21, 2011 10:37 am

I use a hand made shampoo and conditioner from the US which is FAB. It has a strange texture as its full of salt grains but you only need a teeny bit. If you message the lady who makes them, she will set you up a custom slot with uk postage :wink:
http://www.etsy.com/shop/GudonyaToo

My avatar
Mungo
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Mungo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:22 pm

Thanks for the tips... Don't think I'm going to last much longer with the dr bronner's, the vinegar rinse did help but my hair looks greasy even when I've just washed it :-( Shame, it works fine for my DS so I thought I'd give it a try, but it's making me feel yucky.

My avatar
red_dwarf
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby red_dwarf » Mon Nov 21, 2011 5:47 pm

Try that one on the link I sent you. After trying that I wont use anything else now :wink:

My avatar
katyav
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby katyav » Mon Nov 21, 2011 7:36 pm

I used only bicarbonate of soda and vinegar to wash my hair for about 6 months, it was awful for the first couple of weeks then was better than ever (to the point that people were commenting on it, which had never happened to me before!). I went back to normal shampoo and conditioner, and regret it, when I got pregnant cause my hair went haywire but I'm planning on going back to bicarb and vinegar soon. :thumbsup:

My avatar
Mungo
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Mungo » Mon Nov 21, 2011 8:11 pm

red_dwarf wrote:Try that one on the link I sent you. After trying that I wont use anything else now :wink:

Thank you, I will!

katyav wrote:I used only bicarbonate of soda and vinegar to wash my hair for about 6 months, it was awful for the first couple of weeks then was better than ever (to the point that people were commenting on it, which had never happened to me before!).

I've read that bicarbonate of soda strips dye out hair so don't think it will work for me unfortunately.

Next

Return to Natural Living and the Environment