hf1

Would this be suitable for a 2-year-old?

My avatar
emmavmorgan
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Would this be suitable for a 2-year-old?

Postby emmavmorgan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 5:37 pm

If it's just for quick ups and downs what about a hip seat? I have never used one and I don't know what the general opinion of them is but maybe worth a look :bw:

My avatar
shinycat
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby shinycat » Wed Jul 09, 2014 6:29 pm

Ha ha, just sold one of those too!! It would have been no good really though, I am quite bony in the hip area and you have to do it up really tight for it to work. It was OK when he first started walking age 9 months but by about 15/16 months it would dig in like crazy and was very uncomfortable.

My avatar
labbiefan
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby labbiefan » Wed Jul 09, 2014 7:40 pm

I love my tula for 2 and 4 year old :)

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Wed Jul 09, 2014 10:25 pm

shinycat wrote:
Dora wrote:longer lengths are fine but if you have a child held at the hip they have a tendency to want to go down eventually and play etc and the constant up/down will drive you nuts if you're left with a huge length of fabric.

This had occurred to me! So is a ring sling generally a shorter piece of fabric? I've never seen one. I don't think they have any sling meets round here, I looked a while back and couldn't find one. I don't know if I'm going to be able to do what I want to do without spending a lot. I think my preferred option would actually be a SSC with buckles so I could pop him in and out easily, but with his past history with the BabyHawk I don't want to risk spending £40 or £50 only to find he still hates it!

yes-a much shorter piece of fabric which fastens with metal rings at one end to keep the looped fabric end securely in place-using the rings you easily shorten and lengthen as you wish, hence being good for up's and down's. A ringsling length can be anywhere from 1.5 to 2.5m, most are around the 1.8/1.9 m area and they cost around £60-£70 new I guess. I've seen some great basic ones at £45 and then other really fancy smancy ones at £120! Plumbing for any option over another is risk so I'd counter that by just buying smart-if you buy at a good price, you'll be able to pass it on if it doesn't work out for you. SSC's are def good for up's and down's but for me personally, the reason that I prefer a ringsling is that you can wear it as a scarf/shawl when your lo is running about whereas with a SSC you'd probably have to keep it on your back empty or put in a bag? Shame there aren't any sling meets near you. Have you tried putting a post out on naturalmamas.co.uk ? There's a good babywearing community there and they might be able to point you in the area of one-also great bargains second hand as well as fab advice :) x

My avatar
Rufies mama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Rufies mama » Wed Jul 16, 2014 7:50 pm

I have a mei tai and a ring sling but as my just turned 2 year old likes to get up and down like a yoyo I mainly use my hippy chick hip seat. I don't take a push chair anywhere now, just my hip seat. I couldn't live without it. :)

My avatar
shinycat
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby shinycat » Thu Jul 17, 2014 1:19 pm

Yeah, it was good in principle but I just couldn't get comfy with it, I have such bony hips! I am bidding on ring slings on Ebay at the mo, determined to get one for a good price so I can sell it on easily if I don't get on with it.. I promised DH no more frivolous purchases but I have been selling lots of stuff this past fortnight that he could never bother to list and made over £80 so far so I think deserve it :lookround:

My avatar
shinycat
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby shinycat » Fri Jul 18, 2014 11:22 am

Just won a Freedom sling on ebay for £6.60 + postage! Last few I have been watching sold for £12-£16 so quite pleased with that! Looking forward to giving it a try, fingers crossed DS likes it....

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:32 pm

Id be really careful buying from ebay. There are lots of knock off carriers around that really arent safe or up to standard as the originals. Make sure you get authentication.

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Fri Jul 18, 2014 2:48 pm

(^^ wss and as always be careful with ringslings in general that the rings themselves arent joined/welded as opposed to a single formed price as they have weak points)

hope you love the sling when it arrives :) x

PreviousNext

Return to Prams, Slings and Things