hf1

Baby wearing. I'm hopeless!

My avatar
BekkiLB
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Baby wearing. I'm hopeless!

Postby BekkiLB » Tue Aug 26, 2014 12:14 pm

I acquired a woven wrap about a month ago and I've been trying it out but either Blaine is too wriggly or I'm just hopeless because I can't work it out! Either the seat pops of it hurts my shoulders (red marks) or it just doesn't look tight enough :( I really want to get it because he's getting very heavy to carry in my arms and I don't always like to take the buggy for quick trips as I'm in a second floor flat. Tips and tricks ladies!!

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Baby wearing. I'm hopeless!

Postby gilbertandmartha » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:11 pm

@sim @ems101

I know sim uses a woven, and I think ems does too, they will come along and help you soon.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:15 pm

@BekkiLB

A few questions:
What type of wrap do you have? What length / size is it? What carries have you been trying to do?

Depending on what you are trying to do there are a few tricks and techniques that can help :) :bw:

My avatar
BekkiLB
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby BekkiLB » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:56 pm

It's a pentelka woven wrap which I know isn't brilliant quality but fine for getting to grips surly? It's 500cm long and 70cm wide. I've tried the rucksack carry, back wrap cross carry and front cross carry. The only one that felt remotely safe was front cross carry!

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:33 pm

Yay to babywearing :) It sounds like the wrap is thin hence the digging. Wearing a heavier toddler using a thin wrap is possible but you'll have to work a bit harder on making sure as you wrap-I'd think cross carry would be the best-that the wrap on the shoulders is really fanned out and made taut by pulling every cm as you bunch it ready for the crossing over part x

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Tue Aug 26, 2014 5:35 pm

BekkiLB wrote:It's a pentelka woven wrap which I know isn't brilliant quality but fine for getting to grips surly? It's 500cm long and 70cm wide. I've tried the rucksack carry, back wrap cross carry and front cross carry. The only one that felt remotely safe was front cross carry!

Have you looked to see if there is a YouTube tutorial? Might be something on there. X

My avatar
BekkiLB
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby BekkiLB » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:14 pm

YouTube was where I learned how to do these wraps, I have now learned they need to be broken in! So it's in the wash basket waiting... God he's only 13 months and 24lb so if it's his weight god knows what it will be like when he's 2!! Xx

My avatar
BekkiLB
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Baby wearing. I'm hopeless! Updated with action shots!

Postby BekkiLB » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:05 pm

Here's us today,Image

Front cross carry I believe... I liked this as I could see what he was doing and could chat away to him but he felt too low down and I couldn't for the life of me get him to stay up while wrapping?!?Image
I don't know what this ones called but there's a sort of twist above my bust and not sure if it was the wrap or the fact that is poorly tied but it rubbed my collar bones!

I threw that wrap on the floor in a tantrum today as it's really stressing me out :( I know sounds silly but I so need to get it right as Blaines getting to heavy to carry in my arms and its so soothing to both of us when he's close! I'm in search of a meet in my area andI've just missed this months and doesn't look like there's another group near by! X

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Thu Aug 28, 2014 3:31 pm

I think your wrapping skills are pretty good :) it looks like a super duper thin wrap so with that in mind have you tried adjusting the neck/shoulder straps over so it's more on the shoulders, and speading the material out in an evenly (done by pulling each bit) adjusted fan shape? Only asking as I'd have neck ache and digging in if I wore a wrap so high up but people find different things work for them :) as for positioning...they say 'close enough to kiss' so your fwcc would be fine for me. I'd also try double the material over itself and with a pair of sling rings making a no-sew ring sling (plenty of examples of youtube)-that way the material would have twice the strength and you could wear on the front as you wanted too x

Next

Return to Prams, Slings and Things