hf1

Tempted by a Mei Tai...HELP!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Tempted by a Mei Tai...HELP!

Postby megansmummy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:00 pm

Hmm I have been browsing this forum for a while and looking at various sites and things...how easy is it to tie up a mei tai? Im worried i might not to do it properly and then drop Kieren :oops: Im finding my P&T a real faff at the moment, sometimes DD wants to go in it..sometimes she wants to walk and sometimes she doesent know what she wants and im constantly taking off and putting on the extra seat and shifting them round and tbh i dont like Kieren in the back seat (no sun shade, protection from the wind etc...)

So im thinking of getting a sling and i really like the look of these but havent ever tried a sling of any sort so I'm in deep water here :giggle:

My avatar
Allie
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Tempted by a Mei Tai...HELP!

Postby Allie » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:08 pm

I'll bring both of mine tomorrow and you can have a play :wink: . They are very easy to use but totally addictive once you get started :hohoho:

My avatar
freckle
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby freckle » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:12 pm

I have a mei tai and it was my first sling that needed to be tied. I have the babyhawk one and it is so easy! I have a P&T too and always keep my Sling underneath to use when Oz is awake. he sleeps better in the buggy though.

One thing I would say though that carrying a baby on your front while having a slight forward lean to push the pram can put a lot of stress on your back and gets uncomfy very quickly so you might want to look in to getting something that is easier to put on your back as well for while you're out and about. You can use mei tai's but they are a little harder to do on your own especially if you are out and not near a bed/sofa.

I'm about to buy a Beco Butterfly as have tested one out and it is so easy to put on your back on your own and also very comfy on the front too. But any soft structured carrier would work.

Bron x

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:13 pm

MTs really aren't all that difficult to tie up. An SSC is very much like a mei tai but has buckles so is slightly easier and quicker to get on, especially for back carries. I love both my MT and SSC though, maybe you should get both. :twisted: :giggle:

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:18 pm

I prefer buckle carriers to straps - my Beco Butterfly is a lot easier to use than my mei tai. You can hire from Slumber-roo if you want to try before you buy.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Mon Aug 24, 2009 1:19 pm

It's certainly possible to do a back carry in a MT (even when you're out and about on your own). It's just a case of practicing. I tend to use my SSC (I have a Connecta) when out and about and my MT around the house.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Mon Aug 24, 2009 2:22 pm

Thanks all :)

Allie, that would be fabby, thank you!! :)

I have just emailed my mum the pattern for making one and she said she will have a look and see if she could make me one...she is a dab hand with the sewing machine *crosses fingers*

My avatar
Joaninha
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Joaninha » Mon Aug 24, 2009 3:35 pm

I found that for front carries, even while pushing Jaime on the buggy, I loved my wrap! From the time he was 6/7 weeks old until about 7 months, Lucas practically lived in the wrap. I could put it on and pop him in and out during the day, and because of the way it sits on you, I found there was no stress to my back, even when we were out the whole morning, buggy, toddler, baby and all...
But, for back carries, once baby can support his head, a mt is sooooo easy! I like the fact that there are no buckles that need adjusting, but some people really don't like the trailing straps. It all comes down to what your preferences are.
And just to confuse matters more, I have started using my wrap again for back carries with Lucas (who is 19 months old), after using my mei tai and a pod for quite a while. Love, love, love my slings and wouldn't be without them anywhere!

My avatar
SaturdayNext
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby SaturdayNext » Mon Aug 24, 2009 6:10 pm

Mei tais really are very quick and easy to use. All you need to do is keep the baby high and tight against you, and to be able to tie two reef knots (left over right, then right over left, or vice versa). I would practice at home with a mirror and even a teddy or a doll a couple of times first until you feel confident.

If you can get to a sling meet to try some in advance it would be worth it as you might find a make you love. Failing that, brands like Babyhawk and Joey Slings are very well designed for babies around your LO's age, can be picked up cheaply secondhand, don't break the bank bought new, and will always sell on because of their excellent reputations.

I can put on mei tais without thinking now and I love them, but I do remember being intimidated when I first saw them. So if I can manage them I'm sure you could.

HTH

Next

Return to Prams, Slings and Things