Questions about wovens

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Questions about wovens

Postby rachymoo » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:08 pm

Hello :wave:

I started off with a Moby but after borrowing Kirsty's (wytch) Girasol I have definitely found the love for wovens. I am desperately trying to get some funds together to buy one lol. A few questions though -

What do the numbers mean? (i.e. Girasol 6)? I am guessing it's size - how do I know what size to get?

Where do you buy them new? (Not that I would - I would buy preloved - but it would be nice to have a look at the pics and to see what the prices are brand new, and just to be nosey really (lol). Also I'm guessing websites that sell them new would have some sort of sizing guide.

What ones are the best? What are your favourites and are there any I should avoid? I've heard good things about Girasol (tried one of these and loved it) and Didymos but I'm a bit clueless really.

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Questions about wovens

Postby becky1978 » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:12 pm

Will watch this with interest :)

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:26 pm

rachymoo wrote:Hello :wave:

I started off with a Moby but after borrowing Kirsty's (wytch) Girasol I have definitely found the love for wovens. I am desperately trying to get some funds together to buy one lol. A few questions though -

What do the numbers mean? (i.e. Girasol 6)? I am guessing it's size - how do I know what size to get?

Yep they are sizes, the size you get depends on 2 things 1) the wearer's size and 2) which types of carry you are likely to use. Each manufacturer's website has a guide. Generally the longer wraps are more versatile (so 5s and 6s) as you can do all the carries whereas there are some you can't do with the smaller ones. The smaller ones are cheaper though.

rachymoo wrote:Where do you buy them new? (Not that I would - I would buy preloved - but it would be nice to have a look at the pics and to see what the prices are brand new, and just to be nosey really (lol). Also I'm guessing websites that sell them new would have some sort of sizing guide.

From various websites including

bigmamaslings
Mamanatura
Natural connection
Naturally Happy Slings

to name a few, but there are loads more. Also the manufacturers websites tend to have pics of all their slings.

rachymoo wrote:What ones are the best? What are your favourites and are there any I should avoid? I've heard good things about Girasol (tried one of these and loved it) and Didymos but I'm a bit clueless really.

Wraps are like cloth nappies, what suits one person won't suit another. Personally I love my Girasols and Didys but there are other popular brands too.

My avatar
wytch
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby wytch » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:35 pm

MOST OF THE TIME THE NUMBER ON THE END IS THE SIZE BUT ESP WITH GIRASOLS NOT ALL THE COLORWAYS ARE NAMES SO SOME ARE SIMPLY #26 OF EXAMPLE

Where do you buy them new? (Not that I would - I would buy preloved - but it would be nice to have a look at the pics and to see what the prices are brand new, and just to be nosey really (lol). Also I'm guessing websites that sell them new would have some sort of sizing guide. THERE ARE VENDORS SUCH AS NATURAL HAPPY SLINGS, LOVE TO BE NATURAL, MAMA NURTURA AND NATURAL CONNECTION TO NAME A FEW. NM HAS PICTURE THREADS SO IF YOU LOOKING FOR SOMETHING YOU CAN TRY THERE OR GOOD OLD GOOGLE

What ones are the best? What are your favourites and are there any I should avoid? I've heard good things about Girasol (tried one of these and loved it) and Didymos but I'm a bit clueless really. THIS I REALLY PERSONAL THING. I DONT BELIEVE THERE ARE ANY BAD BRANDS ITS MORE THE WEAVE AND MATERIALS. FOR EXAMPLE LINEN IS KNOWN TO BE TOUGH TO BREAK IN BUT MORE SUPPORTIVE FOR HEAVY BABYS AND SLIGHTLY COOLER APPARENTLY. INDIOS ARE KNOWN TO BE EASY TO PULL THE THREADS AND GIRASOLS ARE KNOWN TO BE SLUBBY ARE THEY ARE ALL HAND WOVEN SO NOT PERFECT MACHINED WRAPS.

AS FOR SIZE I LENT YOU A 7
Size 1 - 2.2m
Size 2 - 2.7m
Size 3 - 3.2m
Size 4 - 3.7m
Size 5 - 4.2m
Size 6 - 4.6m
Size 7 - 5.2m
Size 8 - 5.7m
(all sizes are in metres)

Your choice of wrap will depend on the type of carries you intend/prefer to use and your size and height.

A size 6 wrap is a good choice for a general use sling, which is suitable for most sizes and carries. If you have very long tails in certain carries just wrap them around your body again and tie off.

If you are buying a wrap to share and are unsure which size to buy, it is generally recommended to buy with the main user in mind. If you are carrying a toddler as opposed to a baby, you may need a slightly longer sling.

The table below is a guide to sling sizes needed for various carries based on feedback from babywearers.

My avatar
charlibunny
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby charlibunny » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:48 pm

Brill advice already!!

If it helps, i am a large 10, small 12 but with rather large boobies and i do brill with a 6. I can carry Sophie with a 6 too :)

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Thu Jun 09, 2011 12:58 pm

charlibunny wrote:Brill advice already!!

If it helps, i am a large 10, small 12 but with rather large boobies and i do brill with a 6. I can carry Sophie with a 6 too :)

Same here and size 6s are fine for me to carry Katie even and she is nearly 4!

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Mon Jun 13, 2011 2:27 pm

Thanks for all the advice :D I think I'd be best going for roundabout a size 6 then. Shame as I just saw one on NM for £25 but it's only size 4, boooo!

Return to Prams, Slings and Things