Is there an idiot's guide

My avatar
fivefourfour
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Is there an idiot's guide

Postby fivefourfour » Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:32 am

to slinging?

I'd like to know a bit more. We had a stretchy wrap for the Mouse, but we only used it every so often. I'm hoping to get a sling/wrap for my sister who's due in a few weeks.

Is there a guide anywhere to the main types of sling, how much the tend to be and where is good to get them? Also, I assume that it's safe to buy second hand? Or is there a chance the fabric cold have degraded or been used in such a way that it's not so supportive/safe?

Thanks chaps. :hug:

My avatar
ktinkley
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Is there an idiot's guide

Postby ktinkley » Fri Aug 19, 2011 10:10 am

www.slingguide.co.uk :wink:

and I'm happy to ramble on about slings for hours - have to go out now, but will be back later xx

My avatar
rachymoo
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby rachymoo » Fri Aug 19, 2011 1:04 pm

Try NaturalMamas, lots of info on there :)

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Fri Aug 19, 2011 6:42 pm

fluffy_mummy wrote:to slinging?

I'd like to know a bit more. We had a stretchy wrap for the Mouse, but we only used it every so often. I'm hoping to get a sling/wrap for my sister who's due in a few weeks.

Is there a guide anywhere to the main types of sling, how much the tend to be and where is good to get them? Also, I assume that it's safe to buy second hand? Or is there a chance the fabric cold have degraded or been used in such a way that it's not so supportive/safe?

Thanks chaps. :hug:

WTS about slingguide and naturalmamas, but about the fabric degrading I think what I've read suggests more than 3 broken threads can make a hole that can weaken a wrap and not make it safe. Odd broken threads can be woven back in or tied off. Some brands of wraps are handwoven anyway and can come with knotted threads and other irregularities that are normal and still considered safe.

My avatar
Debbie81
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby Debbie81 » Fri Aug 19, 2011 7:38 pm

re second hand slings, many mammas prefer them as they are softer and easier to manage particularly for thoes with teeny babies and who are new to wrapping. buying through natural mamas or the sling section here is a good way to ensure that you're dealing with people who know what they're selling and how to write an accurate listing. good luck. :D

Return to Prams, Slings and Things