hf1

Growth Chart (pg)

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Growth Chart (pg)

Postby Rox » Wed Sep 12, 2012 5:58 pm

I had a consultant appointment today to discuss birth options where she measured me etc and plotted it on my personal growth chart.

I have been wondering for a while about something so i asked her but i didnt really get a reason other than 'baby is within normal range'

So...

My growth chart is based on Scarlett who was 7lb 10 at 38+5 weeks and born at the 75th centile for weight.

So far this pregnancy i have measured bang on correct for each week so 30cm at 30wks, 35cm at 35wks etc

Why then is this baby plotted at the 90th centile on the chart? I am totally confused. Surely if i measure correctly at each week i would expect this baby to be lower/smaller than Scarlett as with her i always measured 4+weeks ahead and if i am 'average' with the measurements being correct how can that suggest that this baby is anything other than 50th centile (tho probably slightly adjusted due to personal chart)

I am totally baffled and can not understand the findings at all. I just cant get how this one can be 90th.

:loopy:

My avatar
Connie_334
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Growth Chart (pg)

Postby Connie_334 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:06 pm

I'm just guessing, but could it have been because you were carrying more body fat when you were PG with S?

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:10 pm

But its based on baby weight isnt it - if it was to do with measurements then i would have expected the chart to plot this lo as being underweight (guessing)

I really dont get how it works lol.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:18 pm

I think they use scan measurements for baby- would that make more sense?

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:19 pm

Think bump measurements are notoriously inaccurate, my last one said bump was measuring small but growth scan 2 days later showed he's actually above average on all measurements. I think it has a lot to do with position aswell, i measured 3cm less when he was transverse, i don't think it is designed to give you an exact idea of weight more as an early warning sign if there are any problems.

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:19 pm

I have no idea. it's always seemed odd to me that they expect all bumps to measure the same when babies are all such different shapes and sizes :D even with scans they were way out with Katie

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:21 pm

Oooh, so this chart (which was put in after my 12wk scan) is based on how they perceive S might have been 'back then' based on her eventual outcome.

That would make more sense. I hadnt thought that it was put it after my scan so that may have been related. I just assumed it was based on Scarlett's weight, not related to this baba.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:25 pm

The charts are based on scan measurements usually I think which are taken at all scans then plotted on an average chart similar to the baby growth charts with centiles.There is a similar chart for fundal height based on average population measurements

My avatar
Rox
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Rox » Wed Sep 12, 2012 6:28 pm

Yes, this is a fundal height one but based on Scarlett's birth weight - which is what i find confusing lol.

Next

Return to Pregnancy and Conception