SPD - Symphysis Pubis Disfunction

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

SPD - Symphysis Pubis Disfunction

Postby clothmama » Sat Aug 02, 2014 12:11 am

It has got really bad this week, to the point where I have been in tears at 6am before leaving for work because of the pain and lack of sleep overnight two mornings this week :cry: I'm trying to do all the right things so I'm hoping I can not let it get any worse or at even improve it? I remember with Louis I would have to wait up to 2 minutes after standing up before I could walk but I dont' remember it being bad in the day. This time I'm hobbling around the ward in the day as well! I'm going to order a belt and have a big tubi grip on in the meantime, which does feel a little better I think!

Any hints or tips gratefully received!

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: SPD - Symphysis Pubis Disfunction

Postby gilbertandmartha » Sat Aug 02, 2014 1:33 am

I think that's the only thing you can do really isn't it, hoike that bump up. I had it so bad with the toots that I was on crutches. it totally sucks, I feel your pain

Ummm pillow between your knees when sleeping, knees together at all times. I think that I remember rolling onto my side, then rolling off the couch was preferable to trying to stand up. Stupid babies

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:09 am

My gp strongly recommend physio but it didnt get bad enough with my third to go in the end. It was worst with no2. Id be wincing and gasping with each step some days. Keeping knees together when getting out of bed or the car helped and moving slowly. Striding around really really exacerbated it later in the day. Any physical exertion that put strain on the hips was a big no no. Not sure how that would be for you at work

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Sat Aug 02, 2014 6:39 am

Ems and Amanda have already given the advice I would have given. SPD is horrible, I hope that you get some relief soon.

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Sat Aug 02, 2014 7:12 am

I know I go on about it, but I'd really suggest trying a chiropractor or and osteopath
:hug: it's really rubbish - the things we go through for our babies!

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Sat Aug 02, 2014 8:04 am

Oh honey that's awful I'm so sorry you are suffering. I have had a very very mild case this pregnancy and was referred to the physio. They gave some ideas to make certain things a little easier e.g sitting on a plastic bag in the car so that you can twizzle in the seat to get out straight, I'm sure they mentioned using like a silk dressing gown to sleep on to move easier but I didnt get that one in honesty. I found the Tubi grip thingy really helped. Also bought a pregnancy pillow which REALLY helped with sleeping. Didn't buy anything special just a really long pillow so that it goes between my legs and holds the bump up when I sleep. Can highly recommend. X

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Sat Aug 02, 2014 9:43 am

Did you buy a wrap yet, @clothmama ? You can use them to wrap your bump and support it. There are lots of YouTube videos. X
I had spd (called pgp (pelvic girdle pain) here now apparently) with Eamonn, it was awful. My hospital offered classes on how to best manage it, maybe check with yours.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Sat Aug 02, 2014 4:22 pm

Chiropractor chiropractor chiropractor :)

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Sun Aug 10, 2014 12:34 am

Sorry I haven't come back and replied to this post, I was in the middle of my busyness at work last week and had a quick read with bad internet and forgot to come back and post :doh: :pregnant: :doh:

Thanks for all your advice, lots that the phisio had told me but some extra bits as well like the plastic on the car seat!
sim wrote:I'd really suggest trying a chiropractor or and osteopath

littlesez wrote:Chiropractor chiropractor chiropractor :)

If I get really bad I'll do this but it is so expensive here that I'll only do it if I have to :oops:

clothsister wrote:Didn't buy anything special just a really long pillow so that it goes between my legs and holds the bump up when I sleep. Can highly recommend. X
Got a normal pillow at the moment as bump not very big. I did buy a triangle pillow for this reason but it is too big / hard to be comfy. I'll get a long one if need to later.

Mareth wrote:Did you buy a wrap yet, @clothmama ? You can use them to wrap your bump and support it. There are lots of YouTube videos. X
I had spd (called pgp (pelvic girdle pain) here now apparently) with Eamonn, it was awful. My hospital offered classes on how to best manage it, maybe check with yours.

That is a very cool idea @Mareth thanks for that - I have got a wrap, a lovely purple one and this would be a nice way to soften it as well :widesmile: ! We don't offer any classes sadly, it doesn't even seem to be as talked about here for some reason :-?

So as an update, I've been doing all the things that the phisio and you guys have said to do and I'm much better as a result, still not great at night but the days have been better. Totally cut out carrying heavy things, pushing trolleys, squatting, I sit down whenever I can, wear my tubigrip (and will try my wrap for at home!) etc etc etc and it has made a huge difference so I'm hoping I can manage it well until maternity leave starts and it doesn't get any worse! The long stretches of days on she said to avoid so for next roster I've asked for 2 or 3 on then 2 off which is not what I like to do as I love having a 3 or a 4 each fortnight but it is only for 6 weeks and if it means I can stay working it is good!

Next

Return to Pregnancy and Conception