hf1

Midwife grumble

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Midwife grumble

Postby epsilon1 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:17 pm

Had standard 16 week appt today, bit late, but never mind.

Student midwife dipped urine, and said there were some leukocytes. All midwife said to me was that it was nothing to worry about. So why test for them then? So I looked it up when I got home, since I wasn't worried, AND since I know this is what she's like. Almost like 'you don't need to worry your pretty little head about it.'

I remember last time around almost the first thing she did when I first saw her at 34 weeks or something (I moved a couple of weeks before) was not give me the actual results of my glucose tolerance test. Just kept telling me it was 'fine'. Great, but I'd like to see the numbers.

As long as everything is fine it doesn't really matter, but it does annoy me a bit when health care professionals seem to want to treat you like you're a bit simple. Or is it worthwhile something to the team leader or similar?

My avatar
g murphy
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Midwife grumble

Postby g murphy » Wed Nov 12, 2014 5:49 pm

it is a tough one, as sometimes google can be your worst enemy. but I would mention it to team leader, not really as a formal complaint just as some feedback. x

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:05 pm

I would think that it's a time thing. They can't spend the time explaining the levels and what each means, when there are co occurring symptoms then it might be something to worry about etc. It's a bit thoughtless and they should explain really but I think everyyone is so pressed for time and resources in the mgs that it's just not a priority.

My avatar
clothsister
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby clothsister » Wed Nov 12, 2014 7:37 pm

I had the same at 16 weeks and there's a post from me saying pretty much the same thing. Seemingly they only worry at that stage if you get more than a few results in a row rather than if it's just a one off! X

Congrats by the way :) xx

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Wed Nov 12, 2014 9:36 pm

ems101 wrote:I would think that it's a time thing. They can't spend the time explaining the levels and what each means, when there are co occurring symptoms then it might be something to worry about etc. It's a bit thoughtless and they should explain really but I think everyyone is so pressed for time and resources in the mgs that it's just not a priority.

That's a very generous view! How long does it take to say: we don't worry about that as a one off, or that's only a problem if you've got any symptoms of an infection, or if you had nitrites as well we might want you to see your GP? Or, frankly, to print off the results of a test?

It's far more a waste of time if I end up emailing or texting a doctor friend to get a proper explanation. I also tend to find that doctors are generally far more willing to treat me as an intelligent human being, and they are at least as pressed for time if not more so.

Return to Pregnancy and Conception