hf1

Another midwife grumble!

My avatar
amba
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Another midwife grumble!

Postby amba » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:48 am

Firstly, my midwife is great, but she gets on my nerves! She wants me to do the sugar test, but I have to be there at 8 in the morning! I have told her that 8 in the morning isn't possible for me as I have 2 children to get ready for school. Everyone i know either works or has their own children to get ready for school. She is still insisting i go! She has rung them and convinced them to give me a later time, 9.30 much better time! She said I have to get bloods done at the same time :(
And she is making me see a consultant because of my BMI and my second child having been born with cleft lip/palate
I wanted a homebirth last time and they refused me! I think I just don't want to go because I don't want them to refuse me my wishes again! Sorry I know I sound abit childish but I would love a homebirth, and all my labours have been nice and quick, hassle free. This is my last baby and I don't want to reget not doing it at home!

Have injections yesterday and my arms are killing me :(

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Re: Another midwife grumble!

Postby littlesez » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:02 am

You don't have to do anything ! Why we're you refused a home birth xx

My avatar
amba
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby amba » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:44 am

My BMI was too high, and I had a baby that was 'incompatible with life', the baby had no brain and half the skull had formed. I lost a stone and a half before this pregnancy, so my BMI is only 1 number too high!
@littlesez

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:54 am

So sorry amba :cry:

The home birth is your choice hun x

My avatar
amba
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby amba » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:02 am

I still have 3 almost 4 lovely boys tho :thumbsup:
All scans show baby is developing fine, I may just have to really push for it. I also want a pool birth too as I've heard good things about them :)

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:45 am

For me the pool was more important than where I was :)

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 12:49 pm

I think I'd try and do the gtt and just tell them when you can do it. Maybe do can take a little time off? but see the consultant and push for a home/ pool birth. Tell them you are only just over the bmi threshold and see what they say. If your bp and glucose tolerance is ok they might be supportive.as Sara said at the end of the day it's your choice.

My avatar
cuppachaplz
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby cuppachaplz » Thu Nov 13, 2014 1:50 pm

:hug: :hug: I hope you're feeling happier soon.

Where are you? I don't think that they can refuse you a home birth (I was told that they couldn't, although they can advise and be nasty whilst going about it)
Ask to see the birth choices consultant.
I'm high risk, and had been signed off for MLU delivery (and home birth was discussed and not ruled out) assuming I was well and went to term. Ok things have changed since then, but this was still an option. My risks were caused by more issues than BMI!
Good luck, hope you get someone to listen xx :hug:

My avatar
clarabel3
Clothie
Clothie

Postby clarabel3 » Thu Nov 13, 2014 7:04 pm

hi, a bit of hopefully useful practical advice.
you could ask if there is a consultant midwife in your area? where I work the consultant midwife supports women to make informed choices that may be out of the usual hospital guidelines. for example on the freestanding midwife led unit she will support women with known risk factors to birth there if that is their personal choice.
you can also speak to a local supervisor of midwives who will support you. (they are they for you)
the choice for a home birth is yours. lots of love and luck.

Return to Pregnancy and Conception