hf1

GBS positive. Arse :(

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

GBS positive. Arse :(

Postby LynniferT » Mon May 04, 2015 10:48 am

Well did the usual private test for GBS as i did with DS3 & DD and expected it to be negative.

On the way back from Dorset this weekend got the text saying its a positive swab and i'll need antibiotics... :(

I had nhs test with DS1 and had antibiotics and they didnt test me with DS2, just gave me antibiotics anyway. I hated having the cannular/needles in my hands so with subsequent pregs i found out about the private test and did that.

I nearly didnt do the test (because of 2 clear ones) so feel a bit guilty :roll: also slightly bummed as it'll prob mean a longer stay in hospital than i want. :x

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: GBS positive. Arse :(

Postby ems101 » Mon May 04, 2015 2:24 pm

I was gbs with no3 but not the other two. Was a pain in the bum because of the longer stay in hospital but I didn't notice the canulas really, I had them with all three for various things!

Hopefully it will all be ok, thanks goodness you did the test xx

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Mon May 04, 2015 5:49 pm

I hear you about the canulas hate them :(

It's good you know now and can be prepared

Hugs xx

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Thu Jul 16, 2015 12:22 am

I am strep b positive and will be refusing antibiotics in labour.
I was reading a study (il try and find it for you) saying that babys getting strep b in labour is really rare and there are concerns about eczema and asthma in babys that have antibiotics in labour.
My son had a horrible case of thrush in his mouth after I had antibiotics in labour, it effected breastfeeding but luckily I got it treated quickly.

Good luck

My avatar
ems101
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby ems101 » Thu Jul 16, 2015 1:10 pm

Chat it through with your mW or Gp @smilinglou, hopefully they will listen to your concerns and be able to reassure you. Strep b can be fatal to babies if not treated xx

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Thu Jul 16, 2015 5:30 pm

@Lynnifert At least you know and will be fully prepared. If you get the ideal 2 doses in before baby is delivered then it's a short period of observation and then home. You will only need an extended stay if you have a fast labour and there isn't enough time to get the 2 doses in.
My advice - go to the hospital early so to give yourself the best chance of getting them in.
The cannula shouldn't hurt going in if put in correctly. I used to put it in my patients whilst the mother was having a contraction so was distracted from the needle and using gas/air.

@smilinglou
please talk to your mw or obstetric consultant about your worries about antibiotics in labour. I'd advice any mother positive with group B strep to talk openly with their consultant and not wait until labour to refuse/discuss treatment.

Also being positive in previous pregnancies doesn't automatically mean you will be positive in others.

Step B infections in neonates are extremely serious and shouldn't be taken lightly.
I've seen many babies extremely ill as a result of group B strep. If the baby survives then the risk of long term health problems is high.

One study is not enough to base such a big decision on.
What was the study? How big was it? Was it blinded? Was there any publication/study bias? Were the results statistically significant? Were the results reproducible? Did it include all bad outcomes in the data set?
There are multiple good quality studies to support the use of antibiotics in labour.

Oral thrush is a common problem with antibiotics - but is treated simply and quickly.

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Thu Jul 16, 2015 7:30 pm

docmaggoo wrote:@Lynnifert At least you know and will be fully prepared. If you get the ideal 2 doses in before baby is delivered then it's a short period of observation and then home. You will only need an extended stay if you have a fast labour and there isn't enough time to get the 2 doses in.
My advice - go to the hospital early so to give yourself the best chance of getting them in.
The cannula shouldn't hurt going in if put in correctly. I used to put it in my patients whilst the mother was having a contraction so was distracted from the needle and using gas/air.

@smilinglou
please talk to your mw or obstetric consultant about your worries about antibiotics in labour. I'd advice any mother positive with group B strep to talk openly with their consultant and not wait until labour to refuse/discuss treatment.

Also being positive in previous pregnancies doesn't automatically mean you will be positive in others.

Step B infections in neonates are extremely serious and shouldn't be taken lightly.
I've seen many babies extremely ill as a result of group B strep. If the baby survives then the risk of long term health problems is high.

One study is not enough to base such a big decision on.
What was the study? How big was it? Was it blinded? Was there any publication/study bias? Were the results statistically significant? Were the results reproducible? Did it include all bad outcomes in the data set?
There are multiple good quality studies to support the use of antibiotics in labour.

Oral thrush is a common problem with antibiotics - but is treated simply and quickly.

Can you request testing to see if you're positive although I know that can changed over time and you may be positive at the end of pregnancy x

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby docmaggoo » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:07 pm

@smilinglou

Strictly speaking no you cannot request it.
But if you are being examined for some reason or have pv discharge then the doctor would do a swab routinely.

I personally feel if any patient explained to their consultant their concerns and fears and aims to have a minimal intervention birth with midwife led care and avoiding antibiotics/cannula - then doing a swab to see if this is possible is such a simple and easy thing to do.
And allows the patient to have all the correct information to make their decisions.

Some doctors/obstetricians feel differently.

But I think if they allow women to choose to have a c-section because of their fears of birth, then allowing a mother in late pregnancy a swab to see if they have group B strep isn't unreasonable!

My avatar
smilinglou
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby smilinglou » Fri Jul 17, 2015 12:34 pm

Yes totally agree x

Return to Pregnancy and Conception