501-750g £1.90

Packet
Length: over 353mm
Width: over 250mm
Thickness: over 25mm

Second Class prices
0-750g £2.20
751-1000g £3.50

After doing a bit of research in order to add Royal mail pricing help to our classifieds posting form we've found that UK postage is about as cheap as anywhere we've seen in the developed world :) . If you can keep your nappy parcel under 25mm (or about an inch) thick and about the size of an A4 envelope it appears that you can save yourself quite a bit by posting your item as a large letter rather than a packet. We've got a few nappies that are under 100g so for a single item that could be as low as 69p!! So get your rolling pins out :)

If you have any problems with Royal Mail accepting your packages at their advertised rates please let us all know.

My avatar
docmaggoo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Royal mail prices and nappy packaging

Postby docmaggoo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:27 pm

@Mr Clothmama
Thankyou ! Thats going to be super helpful!

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:46 pm

It's not often they will go as a large letter its the air in the parcel I have tried everything to squish them too ! Any tips welcome :)

My avatar
JabberJabber
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby JabberJabber » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:57 pm

To be covered by PP protection, we need to have signed for post in case of having to make a claim, which adds an extra 90p.

Feel free to correct me if I am wrong on this!

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 6:59 pm

Fab, but yes I agree with @jabberjabber I only send Recorded Delivery as otherwise you get no PayPal protection as a seller.
@Mr Clothmama (btw I'm in love with your Avi!) :love:

Would also add that I'm always a bit careful about trying to get things by as large letter as if the recipients sorting office don't agree they will be required to pay the difference plus £1 admin charge in order to get their package.

My avatar
MrC
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Admin

Postby MrC » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:11 pm

@zoeyboo Thank you : One day Miffy will rule the world Mooahahahaha!!

To be covered by PP protection, we need to have signed for post in case of having to make a claim, which adds an extra 90p.

Yes, I utterly agree but I am sure there are cases on here where you trust the buyer implicitly.

@littlesez

For air freight size we use big plastic bags that you can suck the air out of with a vac for things like duvets. It makes them tiny. Something I always wondered was if something similar would work for nappies using something as simple as a zip lock bag and pushing the air out by hand. I might test it today and report back.

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:13 pm

Yes certainly, if I know the buyer I'd be happy to send standard parcels/un-recorded :)

My avatar
MrC
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Admin

Postby MrC » Wed Oct 31, 2012 7:30 pm

Just finished adding Royal Mail links to the Classifieds posting form for first and second class pricing. If you click on them it should open a page in a new tab for you to refer to. A few more bits to come :)

Please let us know if RM change those links and they break at any time in the future.

My avatar
chocmuffin
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby chocmuffin » Wed Oct 31, 2012 9:16 pm

Mr Clothmama wrote:For air freight size we use big plastic bags that you can suck the air out of with a vac for things like duvets. It makes them tiny. Something I always wondered was if something similar would work for nappies using something as simple as a zip lock bag and pushing the air out by hand. I might test it today and report back.

@littlesez @Mr Clothmama

I use the press & seal sandwich bags, seal most of the way, squeeze air out and seal. :thumbsup:

Next

Return to Please read before using Classifieds