hf1

Pottys training - training pant or not?

My avatar
shinycat
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Pottys training - training pant or not?

Postby shinycat » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:22 pm

Hi all :wave: , what are your opinions on training pants? do they help or hinder the process of potty training? I am considering PTing my 2y3m old son basically as I am just sick of changing nappies :giggle: , but the nappy free time he has now he will sit on the potty but not perform on it, and we often have wee/poo on the floor. I have read it is best to go cold turkey on nappies during daytime and just accept a couple of days of repeated accidents til they get the hang of it, but I am really not sure what to do when I have to leave the house (I have to do the school run twice a day, either a 3 min drive or a 15 min walk). Are training pants a good idea for this or do they feel too much like a nappy and encourage them to use it like one? I just cannot decide what to do!! with DD we waited til she was ready (aged 2y10m) and didn't potty "train" at all, she had virtually no accidents. It was quite a good way of doing it, actually, but I can't face another 6-12 months of nappy changes with DS and would quite like rid of all the paraphernalia that is cluttering up my house!

My avatar
mamavan2
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Pottys training - training pant or not?

Postby mamavan2 » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:31 pm

I used nappies when out and about and nappy free (and pants free :giggle: ) in the house.
We've been lucky lately with some dry nappies after a nap, this way I know she has to go and there's a big change of potty succe's.
Good luck :thumbsup:

My avatar
Dora
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Dora » Thu Oct 02, 2014 7:41 pm

My son was older when training started than yours but I had to delay because I had a baby inbetween. I thought that training pants delayed total success tbh. For me, going out for short periods of time with lots of prompting worked and then gradually increasing the time. Be aware that training a younger boy compared to an older girl could be a very different experience. Personally I'd wait till ready but yes ,I do get the nappies thing!

My avatar
Sunset
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Sunset » Fri Oct 03, 2014 11:00 pm

We didn't bother with training pants just went to normal pants and the nappies when out if we knew we would have problems getting to a toilet.
Although my boys trained at 2 and 2y2m, they were both asking for the toilet and knew when they had soiled nappies. I would hesitate training a 2y3m if he wasn't showing any signs yet. Also neither of my boys, now 5y6m and 3y11m are showing any signs of being dry at night so we still have nappies around :)

My avatar
Bernadette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Bernadette » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:03 am

We didn't use training pants either. We went straight to big boy undies which we let them pick out themselves.

Both were interested in the potty and had been sitting on it around the house. Both trained at 2 1/2 and both went dry day and night at the same time. Once we took the nappy off for daytime use, neither would let us put it on for night time. Fin never had any accidents. Patrick had 3, but we think that was a change in environment when Grandad came over from the UK for christmas last year.

On long car journey's I would just line the car seat with a pre fold, but we never had any accidents, and would ask then every 1/2 hour to hour if they needed the toilet.

I'm with @Sunset if mine weren't showing any signs of PT'ing then I probably wouldn't push it until they were ready. Lot's of nappy free time and easy access to a potty or toilet might help too.

My avatar
shinycat
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby shinycat » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:58 pm

Thank you everyone. This morning I was pretty much decided to leave it until he's ready, however this afternoon I took off a wet nappy and he said he didn't want a dry one, I told him he could have a bare bum if he used the potty and had no idea if he understood or not. But about 45 min later he kept getting on and off the potty and then after 3 or 4 attempts did a big poo, without any prompting whatsoever! which took me aback a bit. so we made a big fuss and said he can leave his nappy off if he carries on using it. Perhap I'll just go with nappy free time in the house for the time being and see how he goes on with that, and then as some of you suggest go straight to pants when we go out. And maybe get a piddle pad for the buggy and carseat, just in case!

Return to Potty Training