My avatar
ponygirl
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Potty training-ugh. Help!

Postby ponygirl » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:31 am

Hi :wave:

I used to post here so hope you don't mind me jumping back in

I have tentatively started to potty train ds, he is now 2 and a half. Despite showing the signs of being ready we are having ALOT of accidents! Partially I feel like its my fault as when life got busy I put hm in disposables, so I wonder if he didn't make the connection between weeing and being wet? Anyhow I'm wondering whether to persevere with the potty training or put him back in cloth nappies.

Any help/tips/advice appreciated :D

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Re: Potty training-ugh. Help!

Postby clothmama » Wed Aug 16, 2017 7:54 am

Hi @ponygirl :wave: :wave: nice to see you!

Potty training is always tricky. I personally feel that if you are going to go for it you really need to just do it and not confuse them with putting nappies back on. If you can focus on him for a couple of days - staying close to home and the potty! Make a big fuss of 'big boy knickers', the potty etc and masses of praise when he does make it to the potty or toilet. If you are really busy at the moment and there are a lot of accidents maybe just leave it for a couple of weeks until you have a little more time to focus on it and try again. Rémy is a little older (2 and 9 months) and he trained at 2.5 - we had been talking about how he needed to be dry to start nursery in september and that we'd do it in the summer and then he just said one afternoon 'no more nappy'. I stayed home for 2 days and spent much of those asking every 10 minutes if he needed a wee, we only had one or 2 accidents. On the 3rd day he went to creche and did have an accident - he probably averaged one a day for the first week or so with me and creche doing constant reminders. I didn't put a nappy on at all in that time (although after a nasty poo accident :puke: creche did put a pull up on once) except for night. I think you are right in the need to understand the wee feeling equals wets pants! I know Josh (my eldest) used to get really upset when he wet his beloved dinosaur big boy knickers! I hope that helps a little? good luck and let us know how you get on :widesmile: :hug:

My avatar
ponygirl
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Potty training-ugh. Help!

Postby ponygirl » Wed Aug 16, 2017 4:21 pm

Well since posting this morning we have had 2 accidents so not too bad! Having a few days at home so will keep persevering. My older child was trained in a week when she was 3, and was dry from then on, so this seems all new again! What does everyone do about going out and about?

Return to Potty Training