hf1

Top tips for potty training

My avatar
ericaj1
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Top tips for potty training

Postby ericaj1 » Mon Feb 11, 2008 11:54 am

Come on ladies, what are your top tips for getting lo out of cloth nappies and onto the potty? Share them with other Mums on the board.

My avatar
trogette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby trogette » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:05 pm

Always have a potty around, listen when they're telling you they need to go even if it's non-verbal, or when you think they need to go cos they probably do, ie respect their communication about it. Let them see you go to the toilet and talk about it.

Don't have expectations! Either that they will quickly 'graduate' when you start or that they will take a long time. They will own their toilet independence in their own time :)

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon Feb 11, 2008 1:22 pm

don't bother to start until you start having dry nappies at the time you would normally expect to have a wet one as that shows their bladders are holding on for a little bit longer. then at this point take off nappy next to a toilet, get lo to sit on loo and see if anything can happen, put a nappy back on and repeat at some then eventually all nappy changes.

within a month they have all children have been toilet trained this way and most also were dry fully at night within a fortnight of daytime dry.

oh and don't start too early - 2 1/2 to 2 3/4 is when i think you should start to try so daytime dry 100% by 3.

can i also add don't bother with a potty :oops: :oops: :oops: just go straight to toilet with a smaller seat - it saves untold hassle of lugging round a potty wherever you go for months and months as every building has a toilet

My avatar
kittykins
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: Top tips for potty training

Postby kittykins » Sat May 10, 2008 9:11 pm

we've just potty trained in less than a week. We started with a bare bum in the garden last sat, the following day she realised she needed to wee on the potty and not down her legs (also poos), and 5 days later she was in knickers all day. She seems to be dry at night too...

i just refused to put a nappy on her and she soon realised the potty was the place to go! She's been ready for a while, as she used to ask for a nappy when she needed a wee/poo when she was nappy free and could hold it until i got one. shes 23 months.

i think the more time spent without a nappy on the better, providing they are ready!

My avatar
Claire
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Claire » Sun May 11, 2008 6:23 am

I think age shouldn't come into it at all, it should just be when your LO is ready. My twins were about 6 months apart. One almost did it by herself and the other needed a little more persuasion :? :?

My tips would be:-
- to let them see you using the toilet
- then to go on a special shopping trip to buy the potty / trainer seat of their choice
(I found the traditional potty was just too small and we never got on with it. We did get a potty chair from mothercare that was great. I don't know why but me and my girls must have synchronised bladders, we def needed somewhere extra to go in the early days :D )
- then on to choosing their own special grown up underwear
- then just do it! Put the potty somewhere quick and easy to get to, take off nappy, get a mop and some old tea towels ready!!! I found that after a couple of accidents it just clicked.
- oh and ignore the accidents and dance around like a lunatic whenever they get it right :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue May 12, 2009 2:56 pm

I don't have any tips but it is interesting to see what other people say. We never bothered with a potty, we had one but it became a hat and we didn't wait until we were getting dry nappies, we just went for it with a bare bum in the house. There were a few accidents but not many, never had an accident when we were out and about either. Kieran sat down to wee at first but quickly started to do man pee's - standing up!!!!!! My smugness will probably be shot to the ground when Gracie pt's though and knowing my luck I will have to start going out with change of clothes and have loads of accidents!!! x

My avatar
rachyrach
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachyrach » Tue May 12, 2009 5:17 pm

Kirstyh wrote:I don't have any tips but it is interesting to see what other people say. We never bothered with a potty, we had one but it became a hat

:hohoho:

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Tue May 12, 2009 5:52 pm

rachyrach wrote:
Kirstyh wrote:I don't have any tips but it is interesting to see what other people say. We never bothered with a potty, we had one but it became a hat

:hohoho:

:giggle: :giggle:

KJatie was about 8mths old when Harry potty trained and she use to scoot around the room on the potty :giggle:

My avatar
redmum23
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby redmum23 » Sat May 01, 2010 6:00 pm

Griffy is just pottying but - he is scared off the loo! We showed him how it all works - bye bye poo - big mistake :-( :oops:
New he was ready, but what got him to do the first one in the potty was sticking a sticker in the potty. Weeing on Thomas/James/Fat Controller made it all great fun again.

Next

Return to Potty Training