hf1

Help - soggy 1 year old! better wrap? more boost? wool?

My avatar
smaths
Clothie
Clothie

Help - soggy 1 year old! better wrap? more boost? wool?

Postby smaths » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:02 am

My daughter is coming up to 13 months (25lbs) and usually sleeps 12 hours straight.

Up to a couple of weeks ago I was having no problems with using LL bamboo with 2 boosters and a flip wrap.

Then she started leaking so I bought some Holden's landing bedbugs and they are no better. The nappies arecompletely soaked through so it's not a washing issue. Saturday night I added another booster and it was just about ok but last night I forgot and got a message from a very irate husband this morning (he gets her up as I am off to work too early) about a soggy baby.

Will have to revert to disposables til I come up with a better plan. I think 2 easy peasys might work but the flip won't really fit round any more boosting.

I quite fancy the idea of wool but I need pointed towards a foolproof cover. Alternatively any suggestions for a better wrap that will accommodate more boosting? They are m/l bedbugs and she is 25lb. I don't have waist/rise measurements but can do it after work if needed

My avatar
Scotia
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Help - soggy 1 year old! better wrap? more boost? wool?

Postby Scotia » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:38 am

You could try fleece covers, they are cheaper than wool, but it does sound like she's peeing lots through the night so I'm not sure it will work. I did use disposables at night though because Kerr was always really unsettled in cloth at night :(

My avatar
ponygirl
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ponygirl » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:39 am

Wool is a fab cover! I struggled with flip covers in the day so no way they would work for us at night. There are usually wool soakers for sale on the classifieds, or you could make some yourself, although tbh preloved covers will have already been lanolised lots of times and probably have some felting so are more bombproof.

As for the nappies themselves we use wnnn but not got an extremely heavy wetter. Hopefully some one else will be along with more nappy advice :D

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Mon Sep 24, 2012 2:03 pm

Our night nappies are always soaked through.It's ok as long as no leaks! I'd say u were lucky to get a little lamb to last the night,we never have beyond 8 weeks old. IIRC bedbugs have some microfibre in and when soaked wee can squish back out. That doesn't happen with bamboo or hemp. Bedbug plus are more absorbent. We use bedbug plus with extra boosters, little gumnut all hours with extra boosting and minki pockets with tons of stuffing. Wool definitely works best as an outer for us.I wouldn't think u could get enough boosting in a flip.

My avatar
LynniferT
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby LynniferT » Mon Sep 24, 2012 3:09 pm

If you have flip covers you could try using 2 flip organic inserts topped with a fleece liner.
My DD is a heavy wetter and up until recently we used this combo...we also used Holdens Landing BB+ with a wool cover successfully too :)

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:07 pm

Some of our NNs are pretty saturated too. As long as they are not leaking then that is fine! We use Bedbug Plus nappies here too as we don't get on with the standard bedbugs plus wool outer Little Gumnut All Hours, Wee Notions Night Notions and Looby Lu's night nappies. We use all of the above under wool apart from the LG as it rarely gets wet on the outside so don't use a cover.

My avatar
smaths
Clothie
Clothie

Postby smaths » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:08 pm

Thanks everyone, looks like wool is quite a popular option

Unfortunately, I don't have any flip organic inserts, only the stay dry ones which I never really got on with. I do have some bummis organic prefolds, but I don't think they'd be absorbent enough.

I have ordered a wool soaker to try out, so we'll see how that goes. I'm a little scared though! I tried boosting the bedbug with an easy peasy hemp tonight and made very sure the wrap was on really well. I hope it works as hubby was rather annoyed with me when I told him this evening that i was giving it one more try as he gets very "protective dad" about his little girl and doesn't take well to her waking up soaked (even though she slept in til well after 8 this morning so it was certainly not bothering her in the slightest!)

Any recommendations for pul wraps to go over a large bum as a back up?

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Mon Sep 24, 2012 7:28 pm

We found large thirsties best- not the duo ones.The top ones here
http://www.kittykins.co.uk/wraps/type/2/brand/thirsties
We haven't got enough wool atm for every night and it's the only wrap that goes over our bigger night nappies! Ds is in M/L bedbug plus at 5 months and it goes over it and 2 added boosters.

My avatar
emsy
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby emsy » Mon Sep 24, 2012 9:28 pm

Another vote for BedBug plus and boosted little gumnut all hours here too :) I use them on both of mine overnight with a wool cover
Can't help with the wrap though as we have never got on with PUL at night as the leg binding/elastic leaves nasty red marks on their legs :(

Next

Return to Night Nappies