hf1

Normal?

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Normal?

Postby epsilon1 » Fri May 31, 2013 12:29 pm

Junior is just 5 months old, and at night I put him into a QD bumble, boosted with a 40cm bamboo square (bought pre-loved, so it should be up to full absorbancy) with a Nature Babies wrap over the top. The last couple of nights he's gone into it at 7.30 or so, and by 5.30 it's saturated, and his back is damp because the nappy is saturated and moisture has wicked through the edge of the wrap to his sleep suit.

I know everyone (nearly) thinks they have a heavy wetter, but is this normal? And does anyone have any suggestions? The nappy is huge on him as it is. Would a night kite (60cm cotton square boosted with the bamboo) be any more absorbent?

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Normal?

Postby gilbertandmartha » Fri May 31, 2013 12:48 pm

Whats a qd bumble? Whats it made of?

One test i use to see how much of a heavy wetter they are is if they leak througha disposable at night then i'd say they are.

I have no idea of different types and stuff, but you could try a fleece wrap over the top or wool they would allow the moisture to evaporate slowly all night. If I have to put Lola into a dispo at night I have to put fleece over the top otherwise it leaks, but the fleece is magic!

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Fri May 31, 2013 1:53 pm

I think QD bumbles are microfibre, which would explain the leaking. It is prone to compression leaking and I don't find it nearly as absorbent as bamboo or hemp.

For night time I always used a bamboo night nappy (a day nappy didn't have enough absorbency) boosted with hemp (keep the hemp away from the baby's bottom as it is slow to absorb wetness but holds a lot).

My DS1 was a pretty heavy wetter(although I know of people with mega- wetters!) That combo worked well for us and he could wet through a disposable.

My avatar
Bernadette
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Bernadette » Fri May 31, 2013 2:28 pm

I use a Bumble (cotton) boosted with a cotton pre fold and sometimes a LL Bamboo booster covered with either a ME Rikki or Nature Babies wrap. I don't get any leaks and my little one is 2 1/2. I have always used this combination at night. The nappy is full in the morning but his pj ' s aren't wet.

My avatar
gilbertandmartha
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby gilbertandmartha » Fri May 31, 2013 3:08 pm

I am an absolute fan of the WN night nappies, the all minky ones. Lola's bottom is BONE dry in the morning, but the inserts etc are soaking. Even in a disposable her bottom feels damp.

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Sat Jun 01, 2013 2:37 pm

Thanks everyone. Bumbles (including qd) are made of terry cotton, with a fleece liner (see here for a description: http://www.babykind.co.uk/bumble.htm), they also have an insert, which flaps out in the qd model, made of three layers of cotton terry, so he's currently got that AND the bamboo square. I've found this combination is better than a bumble boosted with two hemp inserts (also from easy peasy), which get soaked through even faster.

Not sure if the two things normally go together, but he also often manages to saturate a 60cm cotton terry (usually a terry tot by Nature Babies or Bright Bots) within 3 hours during the day time.

Might have to dig out the big fleece wrap I've got somewhere, although I wonder if that would all fit inside his sleepsuits(!) Not sure if he managed to leak in a disposable - they were certainly very heavy by morning when we used them on hols. It does all vary a bit, according to how many times he's woken up to feed in the night (more fluid in = more out, unsurprisingly).

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:26 pm

You could try adding a hemp booster to your current set up but put it outside the nappy?

You might find that his wetting eases one he gets onto solids and his milk intake drops a bit - Ewan was a much lighter wetter at 2 than he was at 5 months!

My avatar
epsilon1
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby epsilon1 » Tue Jun 04, 2013 4:36 pm

sim wrote:...You might find that his wetting eases one he gets onto solids and his milk intake drops a bit - Ewan was a much lighter wetter at 2 than he was at 5 months!

I sure hope so! The problem at the moment is actually that he will sometimes go a whole day without producing a dirty nappy, and overnight will wake up several times thrashing around before producing an epic squelch first thing in the morning. Every time he wakes up, I have to feed him back to sleep (usually about 3 times), which means a sopping wet nappy (like last night). On good nights (such as Sunday night), he wakes up once (after sleeping 5-6 hours), his nappy is fine in the morning, and I don't mind leaking a bit onto my pjs.

I called the HV this morning and she couldn't suggest anything since it's not like he's constipated, and anyway, what can you reasonably change with a 100% bf baby?

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Wed Jun 05, 2013 9:19 am

we have given up on cloth at night with DS, and even in a sposie we have to change him at least once during the night, one night he slept through and his sposie actually burst :evil: . We used cloth at night with dd til she was pt'd. I am hoping his wetting will settle down when he starts taking less milk. J also poops once a day in the morning, i hold him over the loo and he poops there :giggle:

Next

Return to Night Nappies