hf1

Changing to night cloth- what do I need?

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Changing to night cloth- what do I need?

Postby Kim » Thu Feb 05, 2015 11:29 am

So, I haven't tried night cloth with Willow after failing with Seren, although we only had little lamb bamboo and motherease wraps.

We have to change her disposable in the night when she wakes to feed otherwise it leaks. I changed her at about 1am and she had still leaked when I got her out of her sleeping bag at about 7am.

She generally feeds once or twice during the night.
So far I just have one weenotions night notion and I have bought a wool cover from the classifieds, what else do I need/ how many wool covers do you recommend?

Thanks
Kim

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Changing to night cloth- what do I need?

Postby Dancing mum » Thu Feb 05, 2015 12:03 pm

I have just bought a couple more wool covers from classifieds as if you only have 1 then you're left without when you come to wash it. When they arrive I will have 3 so there's 1 to wear, 1 to wash and 1 spare.
I have 2 Weenotions night notions nappies, 1 Puddlekins nappy and 1 hemp baby beehinds nappy. I do find that with all of these I need extra boosting so place 1 large bamboo booster and 1 hemp booster / 1 large hemp swaddlebees booster between nappy and wool (but my LO is a heavy wetter so possibly you won't need these additional boosters.
I also add a fleece liner in nappy to keep her drier even with the Weenotions which is fleece lined.

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Kim » Fri Feb 06, 2015 7:56 pm

Thanks, I think Willow is a heavy wetter too so I will follow your model.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri Feb 06, 2015 8:13 pm

Wool !

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Postby Little Pants » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:38 am

Another wool addict here too. It's just amazing. I like 2 bamboo terry squares folded together as one nappy, with either a wool soaker or wool longies over the top. Never fails

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Kim » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:14 pm

First night in cloth but I chickened on the wool.

My avatar
Dancing mum
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Dancing mum » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:56 pm

Let us know how it goes. What combo did you go for in the end?

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Postby Little Pants » Sun Feb 22, 2015 10:23 pm

I know wool is difficult to believe but it really does work.

So many people ask this, so I thought I'd post this explanation. Wool is absorbent, but absorbs very slowly. Because of the body heat of your baby, and the warmth of the wool, it also evaporates, and this happens at the same rate as it absorbs.
When evaporation takes place, the wet is turned into gasses. Most people think this will be steam, but in fact it's not. Steam is created when evaporated water condenses again, and this happens when the air containing the evaporated gasses, hits something cold, and there is enough wet in it to saturate the air. (This is called the dew point)
If you have a PUL wrap, the inside of the PUL will not let the wet get any further, so the amount of evaporated gasses builds up, and also because PUL has a cold feel, the saturated air will cause wet to condense again, and get absorbed back into the nappy. This doesn't happen with wool, because it is warm, and can breath, so "dew point" is never reached, and the gasses continue one their journey, unrestricted by the wool , baby clothes, bedding etc. It will finally condense possiby when it hits the window of your baby's room in winter, but basically the amount of wet in the air never gets high enough to cause a dew point.

My avatar
Kim
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Kim » Mon Feb 23, 2015 7:50 am

We started off with a wn night notion with no extra boosting as I couldn't fit any in. I used a little lamb wrap as it was the only one I could find that would fit.
Willow woke at 1am -after a week of 4am was a bit of a shock- I checked her nappy after a feed and it was soaked and wouldn't last another 5 hours after a feed.
Second nappy was a bamboozle with its booster, a small bamboo and two size 2 triple thickness bamboo boosters and the whole lot was really wet this morning.

We didn't have any leaks though and we would have with disposables.
Not sure what tonight will bring as I don't have anymore 'proper night nappies' just bamboozles.

Next

Return to Night Nappies