hf1

Is this a mad idea? UPDATED

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Is this a mad idea? UPDATED

Postby Frances » Mon Dec 22, 2008 6:58 pm

My new Huggle is in the dryer and if it's dry I'm planning to try it on J tonight. Would it be silly to stuff it with a Bumhugger? The Huggle is so big I think there'd be room but it seems a touch mad stuffing a nappy with another nappy!
Last edited by Frances on Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
AnnetteandBen
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Is this a mad idea?

Postby AnnetteandBen » Mon Dec 22, 2008 7:06 pm

There are times I have used 2 nappies together to make a night nappy before :wink:

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:31 pm

Thanks for the reassurance Annette. Taken the plunge! The other two times we've tried a cloth nappy at night we've had a very wet and cross baby so hopefully it will be third time lucky or I don't think I'm going to try again.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Mon Dec 22, 2008 8:54 pm

No reason not to really but I would have thought that as bumhuggers are hemp they would be better with a layer of quick absorbency on top :?

I've used two nappies when I've run out of night nappies in the past too...

I have to say huggles weren't our greatest night nappies - I found them a PITA to stuff and the fit was pretty random... Night notions (old style not tried the new style) were fab as you can stuff with plenty...

If she is a heavy wetter you need a night nappy with plenty of room for stuffing that will fit well once stuffed. I would stuff with a combination of bamboo and well-washed hemp (bamboo closer to the skin than the hemp) - puddlepants weedies are great for this (you'd need a fleece liner though) as are standard minki pockets (and no need for a wrap there)

We used to get loads of leaks with Isabelle though until we switched to wool - I think because it wasn't sweating in the wrap some of the moisture evapourated somewhat instead of running out the legs...

She seems to be wrapped up in huge numbers of layers, is it very cold where you are?
Don't forget any close fitting clothing can cause compression wicking...

Having said all that I hope it works well for you :)

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Mon Dec 22, 2008 10:18 pm

Thanks for the advice Steph.

She seems to be wrapped up in huge numbers of layers, is it very cold where you are?

Hmmm...we've been putting her in three layers since it got really cold a couple of months ago as we keep the heating to a minimum and her room is exposed on two walls so gets chilly. She seems to be about the right temp when I check her but it does sound a lot! Maybe we'll drop a layer tomorrow and see how she gets on.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Is this a mad idea? UPDATED

Postby Frances » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:16 pm

Well it was a partial success...J woke up crying at 5am which is a couple of hours longer than other cloth nappies have lasted. Both the Huggle and Bumhugger were thoroughly sodden but the wrap held up well and didn't leak at all. Will try again soon but reluctant to purchase yet another nappy as she wets so heavily overnight that I'm not convinced that anything will work for her :(

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:29 pm

What have you tried so far? And what fitteds do you have? I sure there is a nappy that will work for her overnight!

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Tue Dec 23, 2008 12:54 pm

We've tried Bumgenius (very, very heavily stuffed with hemp and bamboo under microfibre) and Baby Beehinds (with two bamboo inserts and a hemp insert). We've now tried all our fitteds (apart from Flutterby Fluff!) and I don't want to buy any more (except maybe a pre-loved but there don't seem to be any spare NN at the moment!)

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:35 pm

Hmm, how about, a bumhugger over a bamboo baby beehind, shouldn't be as bulky as with the huggle but IMO it would be much more absorbent! Jak has a huggle and I really don't like it! I find it to be one of our least absorbent night nappies, in fact I never found bumhuggers of bamboo baby beehinds that great on him either! Jak's a really heavy wetter in the day, so we actually need more absorbent day nappies than night nappies, we use bamboozles with a 40cm bamboo square to boost, OV OS swaddlebees with EP hemp booster, night notions with just the trifold and not the snap in, and WN northern lights! how about making something, like a fitted pocket that you could stuff LOADS!

Next

Return to Night Nappies