hf1

Standard vs Slinki Minkis

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Standard vs Slinki Minkis

Postby Frances » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:24 pm

After advice on previous thread/s I'm very close to ordering but would appreciate opinions on whether a standard or slinki would be best. Jasmine is 19lb and (in my opinion) a fairly heavy wetter. She sleeps on her tummy so her wet zone is to the front of her nappy. I will need to add a lot of inserts - we need 8 layers in her fitteds (e.g. in her Upsy Daisy I count the nappy outer as a layer, the trifold as three layers, the night booster as a layer then I add another three layers as further boosting). These are all very wet at the front by morning but the back half of the nappy is usually dry. Will a slinki hold all this or would I be better off with a standard? I'd like something fairly high in the rise to avoid the risk of wee running straight out as some nappies can gape in this area when she sleeps on her tummy with her legs tucked under her. I don't mind her wearing a huge night nappy as long as it doesn't look uncomfortable for her. Also, would I be better asking for poppers in case she can undo the aplix when she's older (not sure if this is an option with a standard minki)? I think I'm leaning towards a standard minki with aplix. Thanks in advance.

EDIT: Would I be better with a fleece outer to avoid wicking?

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Standard vs Slinki Minkis

Postby Louise » Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:51 pm

I would order a standard if you need lots of stuffing. Ryan is a heavy wetter at night and we use a large fleece outer Standard Minkis with no probs. They're more adjustable too as the tabs cross over on the standard but not on the slinki. I'm pretty sure you can ask for poppers on all Minki nappies now.

HTH

Louise x

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:06 pm

Mummyof3 wrote:I would order a standard if you need lots of stuffing. Ryan is a heavy wetter at night and we use a large fleece outer Standard Minkis with no probs. They're more adjustable too as the tabs cross over on the standard but not on the slinki. I'm pretty sure you can ask for poppers on all Minki nappies now.

HTH

Louise x

I've never used a standard so can't really comment, but wanted to say that if you are getting poppers instead of applix then the tabs do cross over on a slinki :) only found this out when mine were returned to me after having poppers fitted :mrgreen:

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:15 pm

Geordie_Girl wrote:
Mummyof3 wrote:I would order a standard if you need lots of stuffing. Ryan is a heavy wetter at night and we use a large fleece outer Standard Minkis with no probs. They're more adjustable too as the tabs cross over on the standard but not on the slinki. I'm pretty sure you can ask for poppers on all Minki nappies now.

HTH

Louise x

I've never used a standard so can't really comment, but wanted to say that if you are getting poppers instead of applix then the tabs do cross over on a slinki :) only found this out when mine were returned to me after having poppers fitted :mrgreen:

I didn't know that, I might try a Slinki with poppers then. Thanks Mareth

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:17 pm

My slinki arrived today (pics to be posted shortly) and it's got 3 layers of bamboo and 6 layers of hemp in it, and I could easily fit more!

It has poppers, but not cross over tabs!

And OMG it's freaking huge, and I bought a preloved XL standard earlier, that may have been a mistake, we shall see!

My avatar
Mareth
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Mareth » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:22 pm

flutterby wrote:My slinki arrived today (pics to be posted shortly) and it's got 3 layers of bamboo and 6 layers of hemp in it, and I could easily fit more!

It has poppers, but not cross over tabs!

And OMG it's freaking huge, and I bought a preloved XL standard earlier, that may have been a mistake, we shall see!

Hmm that's strange that it doesn't have crossover poppers. Mine do (well except my monster bum one, which does have crossovers except when the monster claw patches were sewn back on after the poppers were fitted she sewed them OVER the top of the poppers :hohoho: :hohoho: ) ah well, good job I don't use them anyway.

They are HUGE aren't they Hanna LOL, it amazed me when I got my first one, definitely a nighttime nappy only, or when nappy only will do as clothes on the bottom half.

My avatar
sALLYf104
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby sALLYf104 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:25 pm

I also recently had Minki put poppers on my slinkis after MUCH deliberation over the cost :shock: - and there are no crossover tabs. But you can get a lot of stuffing in them and in my opinion they are the best pocket night nappy.

I have used standards as well and they are absolutely GINORMOUS! You can fit a lot in them. However - I had to use the crossover tabs and my LO isn't particularly skinny - but I found the velcro sagged and the nappies practically fell apart by the morning.

Not sure if this helps...
Sally

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:38 pm

Not having a crossover popper wouldn't be a problem for you as you could add a couple!

My avatar
sALLYf104
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby sALLYf104 » Mon Jan 26, 2009 2:45 pm

Or could you ask Minki to add crossover poppers if you are getting one direct from them??

Next

Return to Night Nappies