hf1

Is soy french terry a "slow to absorb" fabric??

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Is soy french terry a "slow to absorb" fabric??

Postby rachelinscotland » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:12 pm

Does anyone know if the soy fabric is rather slow to absorb liquids? Just trying to understand how some people have got on OK with them (UD NN in soy french terry) not even being pre-washed, and others only washing once or so, but having washed/dried mine several times, I'm still getting problems! :cry: I know Benjamin does empty his bladder very forcibly - rather like a fire hydrant! :giggle: (and he drinks a lot, so lots of liquid needs to go somewhere quickly). Having said that, he had a fairly low output night last night and we didn't end up with a wet bed (though I'd added a bit of bamboo terry square and a cotton flannel just to help it along until I knew how the soy fabric would work). However, he woke up at about 7am this morning and was sitting on my bed when he did a wee - and seems it came right out - wet sleeping bag and a puddle on my bed! :-? It *certainly* didn't come from any gaps on the legs, as there is a perfect fit there - very snug. ............. So, this is a new one for me - wee escaping in large quantities, while there is no gap for it to come from, and half of the nappy is still dry!!

Any ideas??? Certainly fabrics like ordinary cotton (Cotton Tots) always absorb very quickly from him and will soak from front to back - whereas, I have previously had problems where it seemed bamboo was only wanting to be wet at one end and not move along through the whole nappy. So like it gets a bit water-logged or something?? :-? So, using the fleece lined cotton Bumbles seemed ideal for a while...but guessing he's lost weight in his legs (got taller & slimmer) so they started having a big gap around the thighs and leaking. Hence, my quest for a new/different/reliable night nappy!

If only he'd potty train.... :hohoho:

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Is soy french terry a "slow to absorb" fabric??

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:18 pm

Perhaps the problem is that I'm not sure *any* nappies can cope with a full on empty the bladder type flood :?
I think you'd certainly get leaks from disposables under those circs too and I think the crystals are supposed to be super fast to absorb... :roll:

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:51 pm

the easiest way to know is to get the dry nappy, and a dry hemp on and bamboo and cotton, and pop on your tap to the speed you think he wees, and stick them under it one by one to see :)

if you want to be really scientific, weigh each dry nappy, then after seeing how quick they absorb, get them nice and wet...wring out so not dripping and weigh again to see how much liquid they absorbed :)

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachelinscotland » Fri Mar 27, 2009 3:38 pm

Velvetsteph wrote:Perhaps the problem is that I'm not sure *any* nappies can cope with a full on empty the bladder type flood :?
I think you'd certainly get leaks from disposables under those circs too and I think the crystals are supposed to be super fast to absorb... :roll:

Soooo, what's the answer???? :shock: :shock: LOL

Don't know what to do if there aren't any nappies that can cope with him!!!

You're certainly right about disposables leaking - they won't last a night on him either - and certainly have had leaks from them while part of the disposable (back half) was still dry. So far, I know he can go 12 hours *with* a disposable, *if* he's got a partial bamboo terry square pad folded around the sposie and then a ME Airflow wrap on top! :D And while as a last resort, I'd be prepared to do that (just to keep him dry at night), the disposables make him very itchy in the nappy area and nearly bring rash on. He might be ok for the odd 1-2 nights, but he's soon grabbing himself like mad and you can tell the disposable has made him itchy down below. So that's not really an option for us, as he's already itchy from eczema!

But keeping him from soaking himself (clothes, bed etc) in the middle of the night is quite a necessity. He (we!) are hardly sleeping at the moment from his eczema (having been awake the other night for 2 hours at 2am with him scratching!) - and he nearly has a panic attack if he has to have his nappy/clothes stripped off in the night. It's just the worst thing you could do to him .... so I *have* to find something that works - whatever it is!!!

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:12 pm

personally i find quick flips 9made by little kiwi) to be the best night nappy we ever had. cotton and i would fold some hemp intoit. i find that for 'hosepipe' weeers cotton terry (nice and thick) is the only way...and then some hemp too to lock it all away.

we also went through a phase of using 2 day nappies to take us through a night a cotton based on on the inseide and hemp on the outside...maybe some bamboo in the middle for good measure!!!!!

i also found wool to be better against leaking than pul

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachelinscotland » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:22 pm

Shevi wrote:personally i find quick flips 9made by little kiwi) to be the best night nappy we ever had. cotton and i would fold some hemp intoit. i find that for 'hosepipe' weeers cotton terry (nice and thick) is the only way...and then some hemp too to lock it all away.

we also went through a phase of using 2 day nappies to take us through a night a cotton based on on the inseide and hemp on the outside...maybe some bamboo in the middle for good measure!!!!!

i also found wool to be better against leaking than pul

That's an idea - I'm sure I've heard people recommending quick flips! :) Not tried them yet. But guessing they're not fleece lined? Maybe I could stitch a bit of fleece to the top of one to help it go on more easily/quickly! Benjamin moves soooo fast and kicks like a horse LOL, so need something that isn't too hard to put on him!

Yes, I love wool too! Have a aran weight wool soaker as well as a Disana one, and by far prefer them to PUL - as long as over a nappy which is thick/absorbent enough! :)

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:35 pm

ah! Fleece!!!!
a Big no no for the 'hosepipe wee' stage...leave out the fleece and everything will absorb quicker. sometimes if there is soooo much wee it just can get through the fleece quick enough however absorbant the underlayer is.

i LOVE quick flips...a little boring, but my fav night nappy...and i do keep trying other (prettier) nappies, but always go back to them. nippa'ed they are a fab fit, they can be folded to give max bulk where you need it and excellent containment for terrifiing poos too. imo nothing else even compares in performance (tho they may be cuter...but for nights i dont care too much...and i ahve really nice wraps!)

maybe try sposie liners for a while or none at all if he doesn't poo in the night nappies

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Mar 27, 2009 4:54 pm

Aye I no-longer use fleece in Isabelle's fitted night nappies as they absorb so much better without it... :?
I appreciate it's pretty necessary for a LO with eczema though :?

My avatar
Shevi
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Shevi » Fri Mar 27, 2009 5:10 pm

with excema it all depends of what they are reacting too.
one of Boo's many rashes was diagnosed as excema (not convinced myself tho!! it was only suggested because of the apparent 'asthma' which has also disappeared without trace (thank G-d!!)) and cos one of the things he reacted to was synthetics, we did avoid fleece liners for a while...but we were also slathering everything in epaderm which would ahve stopped wetness actually getting to the skin.
i suppose as with everything else, its all down to bloody trial and erropr again!!!! (isn't everything!!??)
t

Next

Return to Night Nappies