hf1

Is soy french terry a "slow to absorb" fabric??

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Re: Is soy french terry a "slow to absorb" fabric??

Postby rachelinscotland » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:07 pm

Thanks for the replies & tips! :) I *did* wonder if it's possible the urine is "bouncing" back off the fleece (can't get through fast enough and so that's what's making it run off). Hmmmm - it's just that Benjamin *doesn't* like to feel wet! There have been days where in the space of *1* hour, he's had his nappy changed 4 times - just because it was wet and he was grabbing at himself (and gets very sore after a short while, from all the grabbing!). I go through *loads* of nappies on him - to the point of needing to wash a load every day just to keep from overloading the washing machine. But guess it might be worth a try - I could put him in something without fleece and see how we get on. Though I've just recently bought 2 used WN NNs (one with hemp and one with bamboo inside), which I haven't tried yet. But if it's the fleece causing problems, guess they might not work either. Such a lot of options - enough to make my head spin! :roll: LOL And don't feel I have the energy/time to experiment with so many things, when I'm meant to be having a baby any day now! :lol: It's hard enough sorting out his skin (which is always on the verge of cracking/bleeding on legs/ankles/neck), so the nappy problem is just added to the amount of stress! (....sorry I really must stop moaning at every chance I get! :oops: )

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:00 pm

I agree with the others about the fleece. Ryan went through a phase of power weeing and once I stopped using the fleece it was miles better. Also he used to drink a lot of juice so I restricted the juice to mealtimes only and the rest of the time I gave him water so he would only drink when he was thirsty rather than drinking for the sake of it IYSWIM. It sorted out the problem with leaky nappies for us. Hope you find something that works soon. :hug:

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachelinscotland » Fri Mar 27, 2009 7:43 pm

Louise wrote:I agree with the others about the fleece. Ryan went through a phase of power weeing and once I stopped using the fleece it was miles better. Also he used to drink a lot of juice so I restricted the juice to mealtimes only and the rest of the time I gave him water so he would only drink when he was thirsty rather than drinking for the sake of it IYSWIM. It sorted out the problem with leaky nappies for us. Hope you find something that works soon. :hug:

Anyone know if the phase will pass, without restricting fluids? Just wondering if the nappies will eventually work (without cutting down on fluids) or if it's possible he'll just have even more output as he gets bigger! :lol: Afraid I let him drink plenty, as it seems he's more itchy & miserable with the eczema if he's not drinking enough. Most days he has 2 x 14 ounce cups during the day and then probably another 8oz at least during the night (he gets very thirsty in his sleep and wakes up to have a drink). So, perhaps I'll just have to find an alternative to fleece nappies - I think some of the bamboo/cotton velour topped ones are fairly comfy on him, so maybe that's an option to help him not feel so soaked.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:28 pm

TBH it's probably going to get worse as he gains more bladder control rather than better so I'd go with trying to find some non-fleece lined nappies that he feels comfortable in. You could also try putting a booster on top of the fleece for now and see if that helps.

My avatar
PoshMama
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby PoshMama » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:36 pm

we had to change ds at night even in an overnight huggies :roll:

DH got good at doing it without waking him

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:44 pm

I am glad you started this as I never knew that about fleece! I honestly didn't have a clue. I have always loved fleece as it keeps bums dry! But we keep having leaks too so might be something we can try. I have put Elouise to bed in her new Upsey Daisy too and it has only been washed once so fingers crossed it works. I will keep you updated as to how we get on with it as we are yet to find a nappy not to leak that isn't very boosted inside and out with a huge bum!

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Fri Mar 27, 2009 11:47 pm

How about disposable liners as they never feel very wet, or velour, cotton on bamboo, I find it often feels drier than say terry?

My avatar
rachelinscotland
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby rachelinscotland » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:00 am

flutterby wrote:How about disposable liners as they never feel very wet, or velour, cotton on bamboo, I find it often feels drier than say terry?

Yes, disposable ones might be an option (hadn't even thought of that! doh! :hohoho: ) - hopefully wouldn't make him feel itchy like disposable nappies. I have a couple of left over rolls of flushable liners, so worth trying. Was thinking that cotton or bamboo velour might be less wet feeling than cotton terry, you think? I usually try to have him in a *completely* fleece lined nappy, so no damp fabric is next to skin - but willing to try anything if it might keep him & bed dry! :D Would minkee liners be any better than fleece?

Tonight he's gone to bed in a WN NN (bamboo outer and bamboo inserts), so we'll see how that works - assuming he doesn't hold it all in till morning like he did the other day! :roll: And I'm getting a HL Bed Bug from someone on another forum (not girly colours either! LOL), so that will be something to try too! :D

Guess in a way nappy dilemmas can be fun, since it's a good excuse to try all sorts of nappies! :giggle: Though maybe timing could be better than right now, at 39w 2d :pregnant: !!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Sat Mar 28, 2009 12:02 am

Hope the NN keeps him dry.

PreviousNext

Return to Night Nappies