hf1

Night nappies for a newborn?

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Night nappies for a newborn?

Postby JennyPenny » Wed May 06, 2009 7:51 pm

I honestly didn't think I would be asking about night nappies for a long time, but already, Talia is very wet by morning. We change her before we go to bed, which is usually at least midwnight at the moment, often later and then change her again first thing. But she is soaked in her general day nappies - tots bots/sandys/shaped terrys etc. We do have one bamboozle which seems to be OK and an EL hemp, but both take ages to dry and being newborn, she often poos 5 mins after changing :roll: so we could do with a stash of night nappies iyswim?

I don't really want to buy any more really, as we have so many small nappies, most are not even being used. We have loads that I haven't tried yet, probably have most common nappies, most of the main brands anyway. I am going to get a big bo out later as I put the ones that we not tiny away in a box as I didn't think we would need anything other than our BG and XS sandys TBH for the first month or so.

Anyway, it will take me weeks to test them all properly, so though I would ask on here what would be best. I do have lots of pockets, and we get away with BG stuffed with bamboo during the day, but the legs are not that tight yet so I think we would get leaks if I add stuffing/leave overnight, especially if she pooed during the night while she is asleep.

Last night, she ended up with 2 nappies on! :shock:

Oh and BTW we are hoping to switch to wool soon, when her soaker is ready - do you think one lot of lanolin will be ok for overnight on her? It is brand new so would have needed a few for Elouise but as Talia is still so small and is in her NN half the time I thought it might be ok?

I hope I don't have another heavy wetter on my hands!

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Re: Night nappies for a newborn?

Postby Kirstyh » Wed May 06, 2009 8:00 pm

What about a standard or slinki minki, lots of people swear by them overnight, I have a small for sale in the classifieds :wink: One of the best nappies we use overnight is a bamboo sandys with a PD insert and an easy peasy, fabulous, hardly wet at all in the morning

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Wed May 06, 2009 8:32 pm

I found two parters much better containment wise than pockets overnight on a newborn. Just because you have two barriers at the leg. I was surprised at how well some of the BTP fitteds worked - Baby Beehinds in particular were excellent, due to being serged rather than T&T.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed May 06, 2009 8:42 pm

Yep we use bamboo baby beehinds and they're FAB!

If they're not dry (like tonight) I just boost a standard nappy with hemp or bamboo...

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Wed May 06, 2009 8:45 pm

Have you used BBH from this small? She is about 7lb 8 ish I think? I have one but thought it would be too bulky at this age? I haven't actually tried it though.

I would rather a shaped nappy really than a pocket which is why I got rid of my minkis. I want to use wool at nights once they are all Lanolised and dry but just trying to work out which shaped nappy is most absorbant.

Are lollipop ones any good? Or not absorbant enough for night times? Trying to think what I have in that box! It is on top of the wardrobe so got to wait fro DH to get it down when we go up to bed tonight! I put it up there when I was pregnant with stuff that was size1/small but not tiny iyswim. She is bigger than expected though and has already outgrown the first setting of her XS sandys.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Wed May 06, 2009 10:00 pm

I would think that any bamboo nappy boosted with hemp should be ok. We used BBH at night when Katie was just under 8lbs IIRC.

My avatar
cherobanne
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby cherobanne » Thu May 07, 2009 12:22 am

I used baby beehinds on Matthew when he was very little and they worked really well! I also like size 1 hemp/terry stuffies.

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Thu May 07, 2009 6:33 am

definately from that small in fact there's a thread about it i'll go find when i'm not lurking on my mobile as it was Hanna that got me using them, i thought they'd be too big at 7lbs odd too but were fine!...

[ Mobile Post ] Image

My avatar
flutterby
Cloth Nappy Prophet
Cloth Nappy Prophet

Postby flutterby » Thu May 07, 2009 9:48 am

another vote for a BBH though we used BGs at night till she was about 6 months, still do occasionally now, like pp say you can just boost any nappy, LLs lasted the night for us with additional boosting

Next

Return to Night Nappies