hf1

Night nappies upsetting my LO's skin- advise needed please

My avatar
blackcat74
Clothie
Clothie

Night nappies upsetting my LO's skin- advise needed please

Postby blackcat74 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 9:00 am

I bought a few UDNN's for my DD's as our usual night ones were just not keeping up.

After a few washes and weeks of use I've found that my eldest wakes up soaked every time she wears one of these :shock: Plus they both had very bad rashes and sores on their skin which took a couple of weeks to fully heel :cry: - I had to resort to disposables :shock: :cry:

I only wash with eco balls so it couldn't be due to build up :-? and I've done a few hot washes and lots of cold ones too.

After reading some of your helpful posts on here I tried adding a paper liner to help with absorbance, but we are still suffering from sores and they are very nasty. I'm wondering if it's because of the amount of stuffing and bulkiness of the nappy that there is no air getting to thier skin.

Any suggestions ladies would be very welcome. I don't want to resort back to dispoables :cry:

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Night nappies upsetting my LO's skin- advise needed please

Postby eviesmummy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 10:16 am

I found when my daughter got a bit bigger we were unable to use some fitteds at night. Ive never used the UDNN but had the WNNN and Little Kiwi Quick Flips, with every combination of wool or wrap, and they still chafed the top of her thighs leaving her very sore :( The only thing I could do that stopped the chafing, was to use 2 fleece liners, and made sure they came out of the leg opening of the nappy and around the nappy a little so the fabric of the nappy wasnt touching her legs, but made sure it was tucked inside the wrap. I did use Ellas House Bumhuggers and found their ruffled leg openings helped and they were fab nappies too until Evie outgrew them :-?

In the end I resorted to using a standard Nappy by Minki, we never had any problems as there was no wetness touching her skin at all.

Sadie xx

My avatar
anya1973
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby anya1973 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 11:28 am

I had this problem with Cole when I started using cloth on him when he was about 3 months old.

I'd used fitteds and wraps fine with my daughter but with Cole he ended up getting red marks which ended up peeling on his thighs. :(

I tried all sorts of nappies and wraps and in the end gave up and went over to pocket nappies. Haven't had the problem at all since.

We use Upsy Daisies, Neppulas for daytime and Minkis for night-times.

Helen xx

My avatar
blackcat74
Clothie
Clothie

Postby blackcat74 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 12:15 pm

Thank you ladies, but the problem is not chafing, it's blisters on their delicate bits :oops:

My avatar
clairelana
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby clairelana » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:03 pm

Kaydi has the same problem.
I find if I use a fleece linner and put some cream on it stops.

x

My avatar
blackcat74
Clothie
Clothie

Postby blackcat74 » Mon Jun 15, 2009 1:28 pm

The nappies are fleece lined though :roll:

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Mon Jun 15, 2009 2:45 pm

Ah! A few questions:

Is the nappy totally sopping wet and your daughters skin damp in the morning and are you using PUL, fleece or wool covers?

If the nappy is soaking, and your daughters bum is damp, then absorbancy could be the issue. Sounds like with the amount of washes you have done it should be up to absorbancy by now, so I would say you probably have to boost it (which you may already be doing). I would try stuffing your nappy with only the inserts that came with the nappy and then place 1 or 2 hemp boosters on the outside of the nappy, between it and the wrap. I would then use a wool wrap (not longies or a soaker but an actual wrap like the Stacinator) and that will hold everything snuggly in place, while wool is great for letting dampness evaporate which will mean the nappy itself will be less wet. Dont ask me how it works, but it really does. Its also antibacterial and keeps the whole nappy area much cooler then PUL or fleece do. You maybe know all this already!

Sadie xx

Return to Night Nappies