hf1

Fluctuating night production

My avatar
oriel
Clothie
Clothie

Fluctuating night production

Postby oriel » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:50 am

Some nights, Sweetie gets her nappy completely sodden – so much so that I sometimes have to come and change it in the middle of the night because it's falling off her. Other nights, she hardly produces anything and her nappy is almost dry in the morning.

The nappies I put on her at night are… well, let me explain. There was a nappy laundry company called Pure Nappies which went bust last year, and we got to keep the nappies we had at the time (which was far more than we should have had because she was then with a childminder who sneakily put her in disposables and thought that somehow we wouldn't notice, so we were sending back fewer dirty ones but still getting the same number of cleans – I was about to phone them about it when we got the letter saying they'd gone bust). They had got Tots Bots to make some nappies for them, which are rather like the Fluffles but more crudely shaped and with no elastic. They are thick microfibre with a sewn-in bamboo terry booster. We have the Size 3s, and that's what she wears at night. After quite a lot of leakage with plastic wraps, she's now in wool shorties which have performed excellently.

I add an extra booster on the nights when I think she's likely to pee more (drank a lot of water at dinner, or didn't manage to pee at bedtime) but I don't think it fits terribly well on her with the extra material. I don't really want to be changing her nappy at 3am if I can avoid it. At the same time I'd like her to be in something comfortable, bearing in mind I can't entirely predict which nights are going to be particularly wet.

Does anyone have any suggestions, bearing in mind that (a) I would rather not spend money if I can help it (but will if I can be convinced it would help), and (b) I have little talent at sewing, less time, and no machine?

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Fluctuating night production

Postby Frances » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:28 pm

I know you don't want to spend any more money but I think you need to try another, dedicated, night nappy. Microfibre isn't absorbent enough for nights for many LOs; hemp and bamboo is much better. I was close to giving up on night cloth until I discovered Huggles (with extra bamboo inserts), and Upsy Daisy night nappies. My LO is a heavy wetter and we haven't had a single leak with these in 9 months of use.

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Mon Jun 22, 2009 1:31 pm

wss huggles are fab. baby beehindsa are good too.

My avatar
oriel
Clothie
Clothie

Postby oriel » Mon Jun 22, 2009 7:51 pm

*Sigh* So I'm going to have to spend some money, I see. What are the comparative advantages/disadvantages of the Huggles and the Baby Beehinds?

(And how am I going to convince Daddy to let me part with any cash?)

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:08 pm

oriel wrote:*Sigh* So I'm going to have to spend some money, I see. What are the comparative advantages/disadvantages of the Huggles and the Baby Beehinds?

(And how am I going to convince Daddy to let me part with any cash?)

Huggles are quite cheap (although you need to buy additional boosters) and are super-reliable - you can usually pick them up pre-loved. New ones from http://www.nappiesbyminki.co.uk
They're BIG but that doesn't matter for a night nappy! Larges fitted my LO from 6 months.

I love Baby Beehinds for the day, but found that they wouldn't last the night unfortunately.

Re. persuading your DH, your LO will sleep better in a more reliable nappy, and just 4 should see her through to potty training (presuming you wash every 3 days or less) so you should save money!

My avatar
2climbingboys
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby 2climbingboys » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:19 pm

Upsy Daisy Soy Night Nappies are 10% off for the next couple of days and sell on really well (once you have finished with them) if that will help to persuade Daddy?

If she is in size 3 now i don't think the BBHs will be big enough, especially for night use to be honest. I sold mine as they were getting a little too snug on Blake (he is in 18-24 clothes).

How old is she? Wee Notions and Upsy Daisy both make XL if you email them and ask.

Standard minkis are also good overnight (with the pocket stuffed with a mixture of bamboo and hemp)- I managed to get one preloved for £5 posted, but don't often see them for sale.

My avatar
emmalala
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby emmalala » Mon Jun 22, 2009 8:53 pm

ooh, didnt notice the size 3 bit :oops: BBs would be too small then. huggles are still good though :D
heres dan looking shocked in one. thats a nippa version but you can get applix
:giggle:

My avatar
oriel
Clothie
Clothie

Postby oriel » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:23 am

Aww, that's cute! And the nappy looks very nice!

With the reduction, the Upsy Daisy Soy is about the same price as the Huggle. (Does 'Soy' mean it's made of fabric somehow made from soybean plants?) But I do like the colour range of the Huggle – the embroidery on the Upsy Daisy is also cute but costs more!

I got a second-hand standard Minki a while back and tried it but she didn't seem to like it much for night use: with the pocket stuffed as full as I reckoned would be necessary (admittedly with cotton rather than bamboo) I don't think it was very comfortable for her, and the velcro came undone after a couple of minutes of her rolling around in the bed (as she often does before going to sleep). I now use it as a day nappy.

Sweetie is 18 months old and, while I haven't had her weighed for months, has consistently been on the 95th centile from about a month old, though she's currently getting taller and a little skinnier (Daddy is 6'4 and lanky). She's been in those Size 3s since she was about eight months old and they still fit OK. Would a Large Huggle be likely to do her till she was dry at night, or should I go straight to the XL? (I'm thinking long term here: Large might be necessary for any future sibling, so it might make sense to buy that now to save buying another set later.)

This morning the nappy was soggy but hadn't needed changing in the night. I was almost hoping it would, for ease of Daddy-persuasion, but I mentioned the idea of new nappies last night and he didn't seem that against it. Daddy does like his sleep! He's also the one who hangs the nappies out to dry (because he works at home) so if she goes through only one nappy each night instead of two we don't have to wash as frequently, and he doesn't have to hang them as often. On that note, I see that Huggles are listed as taking a long time to dry. We have no tumble-dryer, so if it's raining we hang them up in the house – would they dry before they started to smell of damp?

My avatar
2climbingboys
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby 2climbingboys » Wed Jun 24, 2009 8:40 pm

I don't have huggles so couldn't tell you how long they take to dry - sorry

I don't have a tumble drier either - the UDNN and WNNN are relatively fast drying really as the inserts come out and are unfolded to aid drying iyswim? The soy means it is made from soy french terry, it is very soft and lovely. Amber made UDNNsfor Toby with loads of different coloured poppers on and blue fleece inners - they are really, really cute.

You could try the minki again but I would stuff it with a mixture of bamboo and hemp (or soy but that is pricier). I got my hemp inserts from easy peasy - 5 for £10 and free postage. They are fab. My bamboo inserts are WN ones that I bought pre-loved.

My boys are both on about the 98th centile for height. Blake fits into L very nicely and Toby into XLs of UDNN and WNNN. I asked for Toby's UDNNs to be made high in the rise but not too wide at the waist as he is quite tall and slim. UD and WN are WAHMs and all of the nappies are custom orders, so you can email and ask for an extra set of poppers at the waist etc.

Next

Return to Night Nappies