hf1

Minky, and BedBugs

My avatar
squidsin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Minky, and BedBugs

Postby squidsin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:50 pm

I recently bought a BedBug which looks all squishy and gorgeous, but even after quite a few washes now, just doesn't seem to be up the job of keeping Sam dry all night. In fact, within 4 hours, the nappy is soaked right through and the minky inserts are sodden, which is annoying as it wakes Sam up. (I've been using a MEOS stay dry nappy and insert boosted with an EP or bamboo booster instead and that's lasted all night. In fact, even my Blueberry OS outlast the BedBugs!) Has anyone else has this problem? And is minky a stay-dry fabric like fleece, as it doesn't seem to work as well if it is? Or does it improve with use?
I haven't tried boosting the BedBug yet btw - didn't think I'd have to with an 8 week old!

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Minky, and BedBugs

Postby Frances » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:21 pm

Bedbugs are notorious for not being suitable for nights - they last some babies, but I think most of us on here use them as day nappies instead. You could try really boosting it, or otherwise try another nght nappy - Weenotions Night Notions and Upsy Daisy Nght Nappies are both good for heavy wetters, although I don't know if they do a size small. I also love Huggles by Nappiesbyminki, boosted with hemp and bamboo.

Minkee is kind of stay dry - it can be used as a liner but I find that it stays slightly damp, whereas fleece stays dry.

As your LO is just on milk I'm not surprised that he's a super-wetter. He might start to wet less when you introduce solids.

Happy to help

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:34 pm

Just thought - when you say minkee inserts, what do you mean? Minkee isn't absorbent so are the boosters topped with minkee? Bedbugs boosters are usually topped with bamboo velour, which looks and feels a bit like minkee, but because it's a natural fabric (rather than polyester) it isn't stay dry. I always use a fleece liner in my Bedbug.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Soupdragon » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:36 pm

What Frances said. Bedbugs have a fair amount of microfibre in them, so don't always work for heavy wetters. DD is a light wetter overnight (but a super-soaker during the day), so we can use them successfully. If you're using a PUL wrap, you could try adding some hemp between the nappy and the wrap to increase absorbency.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Wed Aug 19, 2009 7:38 pm

What Nichola said! Also, try using wool over the top, it's breathable so allows moisture to evaporate, whereas PUL doesn't so the nappy stays wetter.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Wed Aug 19, 2009 8:14 pm

I sold Gracie's dreamscape on (same as bedbug) as it just wasn't up to lasting all night, shame as it was a gorgeous nappy (I used to boost it as well) x

My avatar
squidsin
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby squidsin » Wed Aug 19, 2009 10:39 pm

Ah I see. I got confused by the nappy being called BEDbugs into thinking they'd be great night nappies! I think having read all your responses that I'll either sell it, use it as a day nappy (although I am a pocket girl in the day really) or keep it for the next one! I've got a Puddlekins and a Hollow Oak night nappy on order so I will see how I go with those instead, although my stay dry MEOS combination seems to work pretty well.
You are right Frances, the inserts are topped with bamboo velour. I have also noticed that minky isn't really stay dry either though.
Thanks so much - really helpful.

My avatar
2climbingboys
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby 2climbingboys » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:31 am

Toddler sized bedbugs comfortably last 12 hours overnight for both boys! It is really strange what suits some LOs but not others.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Thu Aug 20, 2009 10:38 am

Bedbugs are designed as night nappies, and supposedly for heavy wetters, but they just aren't that absorbant. I find MF overnight useless and need copious amounts of natural fibres (preferably bamboo) to last my very heavy wetter the night.

Next

Return to Night Nappies