hf1

UDNN hmm.

My avatar
oriel
Clothie
Clothie

UDNN hmm.

Postby oriel » Mon Aug 24, 2009 11:24 am

Following on from my previous thread, I have been using bamboo and hemp UDNNs for the past month or so. I was happy with them at first, but then she got a nappy rash, which seemed to be worse in the mornings. She'd also still tend to wake in the night, though she'd just yell for a moment or two and then put herself back to sleep.

I thought I'd try stripwashing them to see if that would help the nappy rash. I did this last week when the weather was so awful, and they took a few days to dry. During that time, I used a modified version of what I was using before: small microfibre Wonderoo insert, TB microfibre with sewn-in bamboo booster, then a medium and a giant cotton prefold around the outside. Two nippas and the biggest bum ever! But she slept so much better in that lot – there wasn't a peep out of her all night when she was in them. And the nappy rash did improve, though that may have been the metanium I've been applying.

Now she's back in the UDNNs, and last night there was much sobbing at about 1am. When I went to her, she tried to go back to sleep for a long time, but eventually sat up and said 'pemmie' (her word for a wet nappy, because I tell her the ones in the bucket are 'smelly'), and just to make sure I'd got the message, she added 'totty' (potty) and 'toilet'. When I took it off her, I found that the front was absolutely sodden, while the back was bone dry. (She sleeps on her tummy.) I've noticed this before with these nappies – they don't seem to spread the wee through the nappy very effectively. Is this a hazard of this particular fabric combination (last night was bamboo with an extra hemp insert)?

I only have two really giant prefolds, so I can't keep that combination going for more than a couple of nights. I also have the Stuffies JennyPenny sent me, and they seem to be better than the UDNNs as well.

Should I try another sort of nappy, and if so, what? Or can I just stuff an extra booster in at the front where she lies on it?

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: UDNN hmm.

Postby Frances » Mon Aug 24, 2009 12:23 pm

I sold my UDNN on as the fit was wrong, but Jasmine sleeps on her front too, and I used to popper the hemp in the bamboo, fold the sides of the trifold over as usual, then fold the front third of the whole thing over before stuffing the nappy - so there were 8 layers in Jasmine's wet zone at the front of the nappy. That worked really well for us.

My avatar
oriel
Clothie
Clothie

Postby oriel » Tue Aug 25, 2009 11:38 am

Last night I added a small extra microfibre booster at the front. She woke again at 1am, and when I went to her she said things like 'wet' and 'sore'. I checked her nappy but it still felt pretty dry, so I tried to get her to go back to sleep. She tried for a while but then started saying 'wet', 'sore' and 'ointment' again, and poking at her nappy, so I took her nappy off, washed her, applied Metanium and put on a new nappy. The old one still didn't feel that wet, outside or inside, though it had definitely been peed in.

She of course was now thoroughly awake and took a while to get back to sleep, so I don't really know for sure whether the nappy change made any difference. Maybe she just says that sort of thing to get out of bed?

My avatar
angelsquidge
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby angelsquidge » Fri Aug 28, 2009 9:26 pm

Could it be the microfleece she has a problem with? Some babies are sensitive to microfleece and fleece, moreso in the night as there's longer periods of time that the microfleece (and wetness) is against baby's skin. If the nappy you changed didn't seem all that wet then it seems unlikely that its her having a wet nappy that's causing her the distress.....from what you described the "makeshift" nappy wasn't fleece lined?

Maybe try lining the night nappy with some OBV/OCV or a silk liner etc and see how she goes?

If she's still distressed, I guess she just doen't like our nappies lol!

My avatar
Pinchette
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Pinchette » Fri Aug 28, 2009 10:05 pm

It could be that she's sensitive to mf?? or fleece.
It might be worth buying a silk liner to see if it makes any difference.

From what you say, it sounds like she's waking up because of a wet feeling or some sort of irritation rather than the fit of the nappy.

So I'd try keeping on using whatever barrier cream you;re using and experimenting with the layer of fabric that is the closer to her skin.

|\\it might be worth thinking about layering as well. Cotton, mf, and bamboo absorb more quicker whereas hemp absorb more but slowlier. My best combination layering for nights is cotton on top of bamboo on top of hemp (with mf betwen the bamboo and the hemp if needed)

My avatar
oriel
Clothie
Clothie

Postby oriel » Tue Sep 01, 2009 11:14 am

I've fixed it, I think. I've been adding in a small cotton prefold inside the pocket, just under the fleece. The wee encounters that first, it absorbs faster, and spreads over the whole prefold before being absorbed into the rest of the nappy. So the front of the nappy doesn't get as soaked because it's wicking better into the middle and back. She's certainly sleeping much better now. Thanks Pinchette!

My avatar
JennyPenny
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby JennyPenny » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:23 pm

I fold the snap in booster o that it is at the front in a double layer. When Elouise is having a phase of heavy wetting I also add a EP hemp booster at the front.

HTH

Glad to hear you like the stuffies :wink:

Return to Night Nappies