hf1

Help please: bedbugs

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Help please: bedbugs

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Wed Aug 26, 2009 8:12 pm

We're using bedbugs at night and while being relatively successful we are having slight wetting dramas. He isn't waking up completely wet through but he is waking up with his bed sheets damp underneath him. When I changed him this morning his front was dry but his bottom (on his nappy this is) was soaking wet!! They are quite new so only been washed 3 times now I think do you think this has something to do with it? Also they seem to be leaving slight red marks on the top of his legs, is this how I am doing them up or does it just happen to some babies?
Thanks for reading.

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Help please: bedbugs

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 9:50 am

bump

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby paintedclaws » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:38 am

Hi Lisa

Over time they will get up to full absorbancy so just keep washing them, bamboo takes about 10 washes to reach full absorbancy.
You could fold the boosters so theres more in his wetzone where he needs it or pop an extra one in towards the back of the nappy.
And with the marks are you pulliing the nappy up around his legs above his creases and is the nappy to tight or loose? Noah sometimes gets marks when the nappies to loose because it doesn't stay where its supposed to.

Oh and are you using wool? Sometimes you'll get compression wicking because at this age they're not moving around, it won't be a puddle but just a bit damp at times.

Carolyn xx

My avatar
0_Lisa_0
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby 0_Lisa_0 » Thu Aug 27, 2009 10:49 am

Thanks for your reply, I'll try to put all the relevant info, especially if it means I can get good advice
paintedclaws wrote:You could fold the boosters so theres more in his wetzone where he needs it or pop an extra one in towards the back of the nappy.

I've been folding the top booster in half, so there are 3 layers up front but maybe thats the problem, I'll have to try not folding next time, as like I said, the front is pretty much dry but the back is soaked!
paintedclaws wrote:with the marks are you pulliing the nappy up around his legs above his creases and is the nappy to tight or loose?

I thought I was as I put it on the same as the other fitteds but mybe it's a bit big (we're using m/l), it seems to fit well but maybe I should try tightening it a bit more
paintedclaws wrote:Oh and are you using wool? Sometimes you'll get compression wicking because at this age they're not moving around, it won't be a puddle but just a bit damp at times.

yes we are using wool, I thought it might be compression wicking but thought I should mention it just in case it was something else. Is it just something I'll have to put up with untill he can move around a bit more then?
Thanks again for your reply, hopefully we'll be up to full absorbancy soon as we've only just started to use cloth at night and at the minute the nights we use cloth are the nights he wakes but I think it may just be a boosting issue until we have run them through the wash a couple more times.

My avatar
Frances
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Frances » Thu Aug 27, 2009 11:27 am

I can't use Bedbugs at night, they're simply not absorbant enough.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Aug 27, 2009 1:51 pm

Frances wrote:I can't use Bedbugs at night, they're simply not absorbant enough.

Same with us and Gracie isn't a heavy wetter :(

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Thu Aug 27, 2009 2:07 pm

Kirstyh wrote:
Frances wrote:I can't use Bedbugs at night, they're simply not absorbant enough.

same with sam :( i do have one i use in the day under wool

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:17 pm

charliesam wrote:
Kirstyh wrote:

same with sam :( i do have one i use in the day under wool

WTS,

WE get compression wicking at night with Wool too - DD is 6 months but doesnt move in her sleep. If we boost really well we are usually ok. I am a big fan of fleece though, this doesnt compress wick with DD (but it can do) so we use these most nights as i didnt want to keep on using Pul at night.

HTH,

Sarah x

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby paintedclaws » Thu Aug 27, 2009 7:28 pm

It really does sound like compression wicking Lisa so some more boosting should do the trick, also what time do you put the nappy on your little man?

Poppy goes into her at about 11pm after her last feed and its changed first thing in the morning at 7am either just before or after her first feed depending on whether or not she's shouting.
Noah wears his from 7pm to 7am but its soaking all over the nappy and the wool is starting to get damp at that point.

I'd pop a booster or two on the outside of the nappy so it doesn't affect the fit.

Oh and Poppy wears small bedbugs (the bigger ones would be huge on her) and Noah has just gone into toddler size ones but still fits in M/L at 20months with quite a bit of growing room.

Next

Return to Night Nappies