Leaks!!! Help!

My avatar
NicolaM
Clothie
Clothie

Leaks!!! Help!

Postby NicolaM » Tue Sep 01, 2009 12:45 pm

Hi

I bought a Ecobubs wool nappy to use on my bigger boy as a night nappy but both nights I have used it we have had leaks. He is not a big wetter so I don't know if it is the size/shape of the nappy or the stuffing! We also use a Motherease bedwetter pants and we have never had any leaks but I just wanted something a bit trimmer cause the motherease is quite big. With the ecobubs I just used the insert that came with the nappy, should I try another insert as aswell?

Has anyone else had this issue?
Do you add other inserts?

Help please
Nic

My avatar
Ruth
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Re: Leaks!!! Help!

Postby Ruth » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:00 pm

I'd probably try boosting it a little bit more then. Does the wool wrap fir over nice & snug?

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:15 pm

Perhaps it needs a bit more pre-washing before it is up to full absorbancy, you could boost it in the mean time. x

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:16 pm

It's quite possibly the stuffing. I've never had an ecobubs but I'm pretty sure the inserts are made from microfibre. Microfibre isn't fantastic on its own as a night nappy/night nappy insert as when its very wet it will squish out the wee when compressed. This is also why it's not great for heavy wetters. I'd either boost it with some hemp and bamboo or ditch the mf insert and just use hemp and bamboo ones instead.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Tue Sep 01, 2009 1:44 pm

we found our ecobubs leaked with the insert that it came with. Now we use a p'tit dessous bamboo and EP hemp inserts instead which are ok!

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Tue Sep 01, 2009 7:03 pm

We use the microfibre insert that it came with, but add hemp underneath and haven't had any problems.
So I reckon if you add another layer underneath you should be ok. Unless its just that the nappies new and the wee is beading on the fleece inner still, if its that should be ok after a few washes.
hth

My avatar
NicolaM
Clothie
Clothie

Postby NicolaM » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:42 pm

Update

I added an insert last night under the microfibre one that came with the nappy. It still leaked :crossbaby: but only slightly and around the inner leg on one side. I will give it another few goes to see what happens as maybe the nappy wasn't on properly!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:47 pm

How wet was the MF insert? It sounds like it could be compression wicking - the MF so wet that the wee squishes back out again. I wouldn't use the MF insert overnight TBH, I'd try it with a bamboo or cotton insert and hemp underneath. My daughter isn't a particularly heavy wetter and we can't use MF in any of our nappies, even during the day as we get leaks.

My avatar
NicolaM
Clothie
Clothie

Postby NicolaM » Wed Sep 02, 2009 12:52 pm

Louise wrote:How wet was the MF insert? It sounds like it could be compression wicking - the MF so wet that the wee squishes back out again. I wouldn't use the MF insert overnight TBH, I'd try it with a bamboo or cotton insert and hemp underneath. My daughter isn't a particularly heavy wetter and we can't use MF in any of our nappies, even during the day as we get leaks.

Thanks for that I will give it a go tomorrow night without the m/f insert, its in the wash today. My other half is getting annoyed about it and wants to stop using this nappy but I really love it so want to give it a good try! Don't want to sell it on yet!! I'll let you all know how I get on.

Next

Return to Night Nappies