another bedbug question! (sorry!)

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

another bedbug question! (sorry!)

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Mon Sep 14, 2009 9:59 pm

right here goes....

if u could have a bedbug with a pul lining would u buy it? based on a bov outer/microfleece inner. what issues do u think there would be that'd make it bad, or good, or do you think it is pointless. i really want to hear any thoughts on this as bonnie has said i can have one made with a pul lining, but that she hasn't done it b4 so doesn't know how good or bad it would be on the wicking front, i wonder if, the bov is lined with pul, and the inner is microfleece, would the micro fleece wick onto the bov? or would the microfleece help contain and fluid within the core? i would like to know opinions, if ur thinking it, say it! :-)

thankyou

annika.x

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Re: another bedbug question! (sorry!)

Postby Louise » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:06 pm

No I wouldn't buy one. I don't think it would work tbh. We didn't get on well with HL AI2s due to problems with wicking. Cotton outer pockets are very unrealiable as cotton is absorbent so even with the PUL layer they tend to wick so I'd assume a pocket with a BV outer would be the same. I also prefer the breathability of wool over PUL, especially at night.

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:11 pm

thanks for the reply louise, i need to be making my mind up by the morning so all replies r valued. normally i use a fleece wrap at night, i've not tried wool yet so don't know how they'd be on my lo, i have a small bedbug and some ordered in m/l but he can pee alot in the night, although saying that he's dropped 2 night feeds and is sleeping thru now. do u think it's better to leave it as it is? and not to mess with the bedbug? i've heard people use these at home in the day, do they not get soaked though?

sorry for the 20 questions hun!

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:17 pm

I'd stick with the original design and not have a PUL layer. People with heavy wetters do sometimes use bedbugs during the day as they last longer than other fitteds. Katie has worn her dreamscapes without a wrap under a dress or skirt when we've been at home. You'll find that moving up to the M/L size will give you quite a bit of extra absorbency anyway so the nappy won't be as wet in the morning as the smalls are.

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Mon Sep 14, 2009 10:22 pm

ah see now i didn't think of that bit! i'll mail her back then and stick to the original, on a hot day here lo has played quite happily with just a tots bots bamboozle on, for an hour or so, think he stores his pee for the night time! thankyou for replying, tis mad how much i've gotten into cloth nappies, the only people who don't think i am crazy r on here! :-)

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Wed Sep 16, 2009 8:53 am

Guessing you've made your decision (and probably the right one :wink: - I wouldn't go for a PUL layer either) but just wanted to say, was the idea just not to have to cover up the loveliness? If so, you could always treat yourself to a couple of fancy wraps or shorties for summer (and winter of course, but just from the point of view of having the nappy "exposed", in winter he'll be wearing PJs anyway, so it's no big deal to have a wrap over the nappy).

We don't use wool (not starting down that slippery slope!) but in the summer Lili just wears a t-shirt to bed and it's just as nice to be able to look at her pretty wraps as it would be to look at the pretty nappies underneath (is that sad? :oops: :giggle:).

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:47 am

hiya, yeah decided in the end not to have the pul layer, as i'd love to not have to cover them up, i thought thru things that louise and some other people said, and also things like if the pul layer broke down over time, or splits inside makes it equally pointless. i have thought about wool actually, but don't know if a) they r hard work to look after and b) whether there r any really nice ones out there for boys, so far i've only seen ones that don't really appeal to me, although i could be persuaded if i found some nice funky ones!

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Wed Sep 16, 2009 10:52 am

Wool is super easy to look after once you get the hang of it!! :) I love wool on Ds...pixie knits have some fab yarns that Ali will knit into custom longies/shorties etc...
Ds bedbug does FAB under woolies :) I put it on him at 6.50pm last night and through an awful night and then him sleeping in it kept him dry untill 9.20am!! :shock:

Have a look at some of the websites...looking at 'past creations/orders' is good for inspiration!!

Here is my Ds in his woolies the other day (we use wool 100% at night and 98% during the day!)~

My avatar
Cadiva
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby Cadiva » Thu Sep 17, 2009 7:50 pm

*tinkerbellarella* wrote:i have thought about wool actually, but don't know if a) they r hard work to look after and b) whether there r any really nice ones out there for boys, so far i've only seen ones that don't really appeal to me, although i could be persuaded if i found some nice funky ones!

It's really easy to look after/use and there's lots of great boy colours out there. Although I guess it would depend on what you like, but I have lots of fab longies/shorties for James which I think are great. Also Katie (Lallysmum) has an amazing wool collection for Lal in all sorts of colour combos.

Basically find some wool you like the look of (Blue Faced Leicester or Merino mostly) and then find someone to knit it up for you! Babylonglegs and Wharfedale Woolworks on Folksy have fab wool and dye to order, Emma at Bobby Dazzlers, Ali at Pixie Knits, Jo at Halobaby and Michelle at Woolly Wumpkins also all dye/knit up their own wool, as do Lisa and Yvonne at The Nappy Garden and Neelam on CNA also knits up from a very lovely wool stash.
I've had work from all of them (except Michelle who I have a slot with later in the year) and they are all incredibly helpful and lovely ladies who'll do their best to make sure you get exactly what you want.

If it helps, my wool photobucket album is here - http://s170.photobucket.com/albums/u257 ... Stash/BBM/

Next

Return to Night Nappies