hf1

My combination isn't working anymore

My avatar
chauncycay
Clothie
Clothie

Re: My combination isn't working anymore

Postby chauncycay » Wed Nov 04, 2015 1:36 am

I got desperate waiting and ordered some cheap fitted and a wool soaker from Amazon.
After spending all day prepping them on Sunday (6 washes, 2 dries) I gave it a go and she leaked through a bit, but the wool felt dry. So weird! Why is that? Her sleep sack was wet and cold, but her wool was fine and her diaper was drenched but still warm (not horribly uncomfortable if she slept through until 5am, which is sadly good these days, ugh)

3 more washes and 2 dries on Monday, no leaks!!! :-)

I'll review the good stuff when I get it and prep and try.

Wool soaker, $30!

Hemp and cotton fitted, under $20 with two inserts that snap in,

This one I've prepped but haven't tried yet
Bamboo and organic cotton, under $20, fitted with two snap in inserts (looks exactly the sane as the hemp, probably both made in the same factory...)

My avatar
chauncycay
Clothie
Clothie

Postby chauncycay » Wed Nov 04, 2015 2:25 am

What do y'all put over wool covers for pjs that doesn't absorb the moisture?

I found another reasonably priced wool cover on Amazon - Disana Organic Merino Wool Cover. I'm totally doing this since it works! So happy for our little girl to be dry and comfy and have happy skin! :-)
Here's the next one I'll try...

My avatar
clothmama
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Admin

Postby clothmama » Wed Nov 04, 2015 7:33 am

Fab news that you have found something that works - most people are converted to fittteds and wool once they try!

The nappies look like they have come out of the Baby Beehinds factory (I also got one in a lot of nappies that I bought that I'm pretty sure is a BB but was unbranded) and they are one of my all time favorite nappies - they are incredibly absorbent and slim fitting at the same time. As you have discovered they do take a while to get up to full absorbency - you'll probably find they keep getting better and better over the next few washes.

I'm not familiar with the first soaker but it looks great and the second is a Disana which are fab, they have a very good reputation. My first ever NB wool cover I tried was a disana (but not the pull on variety).

chauncycay wrote:What do y'all put over wool covers for pjs that doesn't absorb the moisture?

Just normal cotton PJ's - once you have lanolised a bit mroe and the nappies are at full absobency you shouldn't really be getting damp anyway. In winter you can use longies and they are cover and pj's in one.
chauncycay wrote:I gave it a go and she leaked through a bit, but the wool felt dry

Probably needs another lanolise.

My avatar
chauncycay
Clothie
Clothie

Postby chauncycay » Wed Nov 04, 2015 8:34 pm

Oh brilliant, yes these fitted diapers are shockingly slim and absorbent.
I just got the handmade one today and it's very nice but much much bulkier. I'm sure it will work wonderfully. It's on its first hot wash now with the other two. I just keep washing all of them with anything I can on hot :-)
I'll have to wash and lanolize both covers later.
I washed gently in lukewarm water and some Dr. Bronners baby wash then used about two pea-size amounts of lanolin (added to a container with hot water and some dr. B's to melt/shook hard, then added cold water) and let the lanolin soak on the cover for 15 minutes. I turned them inside out half way through and dunked them through the water several times.
Do I need to use more lanolin, or soak longer? Or both?
Loving the wool! I just got a gift card for Amazon... Off to buy the disani in red for my little girl :-) & sine better wool wash!

My avatar
sim
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby sim » Wed Nov 04, 2015 11:12 pm

I'd say you need to leave them in the lanolin mix a lot longer. I used to soak my night woolies inside out and overnight if I could. You don't need to wash after each use - it takes off the lanolin. Just air them out. You can get spray lanolin to top up between washes if you want.

My avatar
Little Pants
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict
Site Supporter

Postby Little Pants » Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:22 pm

I've never found anything which comes close to the efficiency of 2 bamboo terry squares, folded together as one nappy, with a wool soaker or longies over the top. No boosting, no stuffing and no marks either, as well as being quick drying and economical.

Previous

Return to Night Nappies