hf1

Very wet night nappy - please advise!!!

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Very wet night nappy - please advise!!!

Postby Emma1977 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:48 pm

I tried Max in cloth for the night for the first time last night and have a question. He was in a Bedbug and a ME Airflow wrap which worked brilliantly from a leak-proof point of view. The nappy, however, was completely soaked and Max's skin was rather red when I came to change him which I'm not overly happy about.

My question is is it ok for him to be in such a wet nappy for hours at a time? Is the issue the wrap? I know from reading lots of other posts that people use soakers or longies for the nightime. Will these reduce how wet the nappy stays against his skin as it can breathe better? If so how wet do your nappies get when using wool/fleece wraps?

I would appreciate help as would love to buy more night nappies so that I can move away from sposies. (Am planning on buying some soakers and longies very soon..)

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Very wet night nappy - please advise!!!

Postby twinkletot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:54 pm

Ds's nappies are usually very very wet in the morning. I usually get napies with a stay dry inner, like fleece or minkee/cuddlesoft. That way his skin is dry in the morning and not irritated. If they don't have a stay dry inner I pop a fleece liner in and that does the trick. Before I did this ds was red in the morning too.
The fleece and wool let liquid evapourate so it helps the nappy be a little dryer iyswim.
Hth's hun.

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 12:59 pm

:shock: didn't think of adding a fleece liner even tho I have them and I know that fleece stays drier against the skin :oops: :giggle:

Will def give that a go.

Also I know this might be a daft question but gonna ask anyway: is there a difference between fleece soakers and fleece wraps? I've read that not all fleece wraps are ideal for night-time as they don't completely stop pee from soaking into clothes. Is this true? If not what fleece wraps make good night-time wraps?

My avatar
juboo752
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby juboo752 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:01 pm

You'll probably find that if you use wool or fleece that the nappy wouldn't be as wet as they are breathable where as PUL isn't. However Bedbugs are not the most absorbant night nappy and you'll probably find that you need to add extra boosting or try a different sort of night nappy perhaps without mocro-fibre in it.

hth

My avatar
twinkletot
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby twinkletot » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:10 pm

Soakers have an extra layer sewn into them in the wetzone. They have always been very reliable for me. I found WN fleece wraps are very good for night time too. I never found ds wet in the am if he wore one ( same with soakers). :hug:

I also agree with what Julie said about bedbugs.

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:12 pm

juboo752 wrote:You'll probably find that if you use wool or fleece that the nappy wouldn't be as wet as they are breathable where as PUL isn't. However Bedbugs are not the most absorbant night nappy and you'll probably find that you need to add extra boosting or try a different sort of night nappy perhaps without mocro-fibre in it.

hth

Thanks hun. Which other night nappies would you recommend? I know WNNN and UD are pretty good and was thinking of giving them a go.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:14 pm

WTS. Although Katie is a very light wetter at night now so we do use them. Flutterby nights are the best night nappy I have ever tried and are our most used night nappy. I have never tried a new style WNNN but they have had lots of good reviews too. You could get one with a cuddlesoft or fleece inner that would help Max's skin stay dry.

Emma1977 wrote::shock: didn't think of adding a fleece liner even tho I have them and I know that fleece stays drier against the skin :oops: :giggle:

Will def give that a go.

Also I know this might be a daft question but gonna ask anyway: is there a difference between fleece soakers and fleece wraps? I've read that not all fleece wraps are ideal for night-time as they don't completely stop pee from soaking into clothes. Is this true? If not what fleece wraps make good night-time wraps?

The only difference between fleece wraps and soakers is that wraps fasten with poppers or applix and soakers just pull on like a pair of pants. Fleece is more prone to compression wicking than wool if your LO is still for long periods so in the pushchair/car seat or if they don't move much at night. I personally prefer wool although have used fleece during the day without any problems.

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:16 pm

twinkletot wrote:Soakers have an extra layer sewn into them in the wetzone. They have always been very reliable for me. I found WN fleece wraps are very good for night time too. I never found ds wet in the am if he wore one ( same with soakers). :hug:

I also agree with what Julie said about bedbugs.

OK, there is a difference!! Don't feel so daft for asking now :lol:

Thanx for the WN wrap recommendations. Can you recommend who does good soakers as I know lots of sites and WAHMs make them.

(sorry for being a pain with all the questions :oops: )

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Sun Jan 10, 2010 1:20 pm

:idea:

Deffinatly add a fleece liner or get lined nappies...we have 4 minkee WNNN's and the inner is cuddlefsoft and then we have one plain bamboo outter which has a fleece inner...i still add a fleece/minkee liner too :oops: but his skin isnt very wet at all when i change him...certainly no wetter than he has been in a sposie overnight...

As for how wet the nappy gets im another than worries about them getting too wet for various reasons...we love our WNNN's and thats all we use now...my fav are minkee outter ones...they dont even feel wet in the morning...a bit damp yes but not at all wet :wink:

Next

Return to Night Nappies