hf1

Any ideas/suggestions?

My avatar
cvdbout
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Any ideas/suggestions?

Postby cvdbout » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:05 pm

We have 5 NN for DS - 4 UDNN (2 soy, 1 bamboo, 1 hemp with the same material inserts), and 1 WNNN.

We are having a really annoying problem with them, in that we can only use the nappies for 5/6 days in a row before DS breaks out in sores on his penis. It seems to be much worse with the UD nappies (particularly hemp), so am ordering another WNNN to see if two of them in a row will make a difference (if it doesn't, we'll save it for DD).

I tried to place a mf booster on top of the inserts as thought maybe the urine was sitting for too long before being soaked in, and this helped a bit with the soy ones, but after using the hemp and bamboo he still looks quite red.

We've tried placing an extra fleece liner in incase it was coming back out, but the nappies are never soaked through, so doubt it's that.

Anyone got ideas what to try next? I'm going to try stripping them all in the next wash just in case it's soap build-up, but in the meantime not sure what to do.

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Re: Any ideas/suggestions?

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Fri Jan 22, 2010 1:56 pm

I'm not really sure what to suggest... have you tried using some kind of barrier cream to see if that helps? Do the nappies smell in the morning. When Rebekah is teething her night nappies smell strongly of amonia in the morning & on a couple of occasions her 'bits' have been burnt by it :shock: Cream helped just while she was teething. I use the NE diaper balm.
Sorry I'm not much more use! x

My avatar
cvdbout
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby cvdbout » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:19 pm

They stink of ammonia!!

We don't have any barrier cream we can use with cloth, any I can get in shops easily, or order online without horrendous postage?

He is teething just now (I say just now but those back molars have been coming through forever now, so we never stop teething :hohoho: ), so probably is making it slightly worse.

Will try barrier cream, and refrain from using the hemp and bamboo for now, see how it goes.

My avatar
Rebekahs_mum
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby Rebekahs_mum » Fri Jan 22, 2010 2:23 pm

I got my cream from bums & roses. If you used another cream I think it's ok if you put a big fleece liner in the nappy to protect it.
It sounds like it could be the amonia. Hopefully stripping may help too! Hope it gets sorted soon!

My avatar
happytails
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby happytails » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:10 pm

We got our cream from bibs n bots - we have Northern essence diaper salve and so scrumptious skincare balm - both fine to use with cloth nappies :wink:

My avatar
2climbingboys
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby 2climbingboys » Sun Jan 24, 2010 10:13 pm

I would use a barrier cream. Or you could possibly try using a nappy without a fleece inner as it could possibly be a minor reaction to fleece?

My avatar
cvdbout
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby cvdbout » Mon Jan 25, 2010 10:27 am

2climbingboys wrote:I would use a barrier cream. Or you could possibly try using a nappy without a fleece inner as it could possibly be a minor reaction to fleece?

i hadnt actually thought of that, I guess because he wears fleece inners all the time, but I suppose a couple of hours during the day is very different to 13 hours at night! that would also explain why the WNNN don't cause it, as they have a cuddlesoft inner.

will see if I can get some minkee or cuddlesoft liners to try

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Mon Jan 25, 2010 11:32 am

We were ahving a similar problem and find that this helps:

Strip nappies and always wash at 60 degrees
Wear a fleece liner (we dont seem to have a problem with fleece)
Use Bepanthen, I know a lot of people dont like it but it was the only thing that worked for us.
Use fitteds and wool rather than PUL.

I have also heard someone say (Steph maybe) that their LO is allergic to microfibre so another thought there.

Also dumb question but is LO drinking enough during the day so the wee stays dilute?

:hug: and hope it gets better soon.

My avatar
cvdbout
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby cvdbout » Mon Jan 25, 2010 12:08 pm

We seem to be doing the same things then.

I try and make sure he drinks enough, but some days he refuses to drink :roll: This mornings nappy was soaked through and yesterday he hadn't had that much to drink, less than usual, so perhaps stripping has done some good.

Return to Night Nappies