hf1

pooey smelling minkis :-S

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

pooey smelling minkis :-S

Postby fluffycabbage » Tue Jan 26, 2010 9:58 pm

oh dear - well ds had recently been PTd, and he likes to poo before he goes to bed - always in his nappy :-?
He wears standard or slinki minkis. Trouble is, they stink after washing. Ok, well not that bad, but its defo still lingering :-?
Any tips? Ive stripwashed, and they didnt smell after that, but i cant do that every few days! (he has 4 minkis)
TIA :D

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: pooey smelling minkis :-S

Postby Velvetsteph » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:01 pm

Okay - have you stripped the fleece using washing up liquid? It's a bu99er for holding onto smells...

Do you rinse the nappies after he's pooped? Might be worth soaking them I guess...

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Thankyou Moderators :)
Site Supporter

Postby Louise » Tue Jan 26, 2010 10:03 pm

I have a similar problem, Ryan doesn't poo in his night nappies but they do stink after a while. :puke: I do what Steph suggested and every few washes strip with washing up liquid.

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue Jan 26, 2010 11:17 pm

sorry to hijack, can you do this with BV nappies and does it work with wee smells?? xx

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Wed Jan 27, 2010 10:59 am

Velvetsteph wrote:Okay - have you stripped the fleece using washing up liquid? It's a bu99er for holding onto smells...

Do you rinse the nappies after he's pooped? Might be worth soaking them I guess...

Nope, not heard of that. How do i go about that then steph? and no i dont soak them :oops: just chuck em straight in the wash :oops: :oops: What would i soak them in, powder? soda crystals? :-? TIA

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Postby Velvetsteph » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:05 am

Basically you just scrub washing up liquid into the fleece by hand until it's frothy - and then rinse until there's none left...
You can do it to fleece liners that are the same or get clogged with creams...

The only reason I'm suggesting the rinsing or soaking is just because of the smell probs you're getting - I think older child poo is a bit different to baby 'milk rich' poo... (plus add the concentrated wee into the mix and you get a whole heap of undesirable smells!)

I dunno what you'd soak them in really as I've never done it but anything to avoid the smell setting so water with a few drops of tea-tree I guess? Or a weak detergent solution?
Sorry not much help there :?

Kirstyh wrote:sorry to hijack, can you do this with BV nappies and does it work with wee smells?? xx
Stripping in general works fine for BV nappies but the washing up liquid fleece thing is only for fleece... That said some people strip all their nappies in the machine using a teaspoon (I think) of washing up liquid in the wash and then rinse until no bubbles...

Wee smells are best sorted by doing a cold rinse before you wash and popping a bit of vinegar into the rinse cycle to neutralise the ammonia...
But most night nappies stink of ammonia at the end of the night anyway...

My avatar
fluffycabbage
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby fluffycabbage » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:07 am

great thanks steph - i'll do that :D :hug:

kirsty, be careful, coz some of my BV nappies started fraying after stripping :-?

My avatar
becky1978
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby becky1978 » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:13 am

What about always doing a cold rinse before washing? Doesn't hot water set smells into fabric? That's what I do anyhow! :wink:

Return to Night Nappies