Night Nappy Hire Kit Suggestions / Advice

My avatar
cumbrianlass
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Night Nappy Hire Kit Suggestions / Advice

Postby cumbrianlass » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:35 pm

Hello CNT Ladies :idea:

Have only ever lurked on here up until now, but would like to pick your collective cloth know how on night nappies. I'm involved in a local nappy network and one of the things we do / offer are hire kits. People can borrow a kit of nappies for two weeks to try them at home to help them make a decision on type / fit / material etc.

Most of these kits are aimed at people who are new to cloth, but we are putting together a night nappy hire kit aimed at those who have just hit the baby-sleeping-through-the -night-and-piddling-a-lot phase when most day nappies just don't cut it anymore.

Our criteria for nappies to go in the kit is that they need to be:
* well reviewed / really good
* cheap or reasonably priced
* easily available in the uk (made to order is ok, but no long waiting lists)
* not wool (a whole different area, and think the lanolising by people borrowing the kit would cause problems)

So far we are including the following:
* Holdens Landing Bedbug
* Wee Notions Night Notion
* Puddlekins Silent Night
* Minki Huggle
* Minki Pocket
* Ellas House Bumhugger

Plus motherease wraps, a tots fleece wrap, and some boosters and liners.

I had wanted to include a fleece (non PUL) pocket but looks like you cant get hold of them easily anymore over here :(

So, have I missed anything obvious? Can you recommend anything extra that we really need to have in here? Would really appreciate your help / thoughts. Thanks!

My avatar
50ftQueenie
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Re: Night Nappy Hire Kit Suggestions / Advice

Postby 50ftQueenie » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:36 pm

Snugglebots fleece covers are fabulous!

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Fri Apr 23, 2010 3:54 pm

Was going to suggest a fleece wrap but you have it down on there!
Maybe a leaflet on how wool works as a cover?

And :idea: from a fellow cumbrian :giggle:

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:16 pm

Everything I was going to suggest you already have on there!

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:20 pm

Luscious Little Somethings Night Nappy :D

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:33 pm

I know you've got Minki pocket down, but I think it would be worth having a slinky minki pocket and a standard minki pocket as the size of the standards can be a bit scary.
Not on your list are wool ecobubs (don't need lanolising, its a washable wool blend pocket with pul). I've been using them as night nappies for last 6 months with no probs.

My avatar
*tinkerbellarella*
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby *tinkerbellarella* » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:39 pm

hmmm i can't help but think that the wraps are very important. i find a night nappy is really only as good as what u cover it with and for us what we know works is an interlock soaker. we can put a normal vest and sleepsuit over the top and have no probs, but with wraps and 'normal' clothing u are more prone to wicking, making people think they nappy isn't working when in fact it is the wrap that is wrong. if ur hiring out kits why can't they be washed and lanolised b4 heading out to another bum?

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Fri Apr 23, 2010 7:45 pm

Sounds great.a fleece soaker would be good too.what would you send out to stuff the pockets with?

My avatar
cumbrianlass
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby cumbrianlass » Fri Apr 23, 2010 8:21 pm

Thanks all, knew you would come up trumps :D

ramsons wrote:I know you've got Minki pocket down, but I think it would be worth having a slinky minki pocket and a standard minki pocket as the size of the standards can be a bit scary.
Not on your list are wool ecobubs (don't need lanolising, its a washable wool blend pocket with pul). I've been using them as night nappies for last 6 months with no probs.

Sorry yes I should have said, it is the Slinki Minki we are going for. I would love to have both, but we are on a tight budget and I think the Slinki is the better one / more appealing. The kit is to give a flavour, and if i remember right we have a standard in our nappy library so folks can have a look at one.

*tinkerbellarella* wrote:hmmm i can't help but think that the wraps are very important. i find a night nappy is really only as good as what u cover it with and for us what we know works is an interlock soaker. we can put a normal vest and sleepsuit over the top and have no probs, but with wraps and 'normal' clothing u are more prone to wicking, making people think they nappy isn't working when in fact it is the wrap that is wrong. if ur hiring out kits why can't they be washed and lanolised b4 heading out to another bum?

We already have 8 kits, and they are currently in and out a lot so they are going to a laundry to get cleaned, and not sure they would lanolise for us (and if they did would probably be ££). We do have someone on our committee who uses wool and she is always really happy to chat through how it works and show off her lovely fluff and help.

lazylexis wrote:Sounds great.a fleece soaker would be good too.what would you send out to stuff the pockets with?

I was thinking green acre design hemp inserts, with a slimmer microfibre insert for the top of it? So far is only the minki pocket in the basket, but if we go with another fleece pocket then will look at a bamboo insert (GKs?) as it will then give a good choice of types. Wasnt planning on microfibre other than as a topper as the kit is aimed at heavy wetters and imo microfibre just dont cut it at night. Will also be including a couple of easy peasy hemp boosters. The kit will be used by existing clothies, rather than new to cloth people, so most will / should have inserts and boosters at home. If I was borrowing it I'd probably try my own tried and tested stuff.

dawnsmummy wrote:And :idea: from a fellow cumbrian :giggle:

I'm in exile :( :giggle:

Next

Return to Night Nappies