hf1

Outweeing her night nappies.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Outweeing her night nappies.

Postby tanya » Sun Feb 24, 2008 6:51 pm

My DD is 5 months old, 15.5 lbs and is outweeing her night nappies. She has been waking up with the nappy soaking wet in her wet zone, plus all the boosters soaked too. It's going straight through the wrap and onto her GroBag, which are being washed every day - luckily we have 3 which fit. Sometimes it's even going through to her sheets.

She has recently outweed:

A large Huggle (grr, just bought 2 more :x ) boosted with an easy peasy hemp booster and a bamboo booster in the pocket plus another easy peasy hemp booster between the nappy and the wrap, which is a standard sized Couche Cover. Gonna try adding a terry booster to the pocket tonight.

A size 2 Bamboozle (which usually works quite well) boosted with a terry booster and small hemp booster inside the nappy, under the fleece + nappy's own boosters and a hemp booster between the nappy and the wrap (as above).

Bamboo Baby Beehind - even with loads of hemp and both its own boosters this has never worked successfully over night.

Also have a front fastening NightNotions, which is completely bamboo with bamboo boosters and has never worked. Cannot get enough other boosting into it without it distorting.

Not sure what else to try. Need to get one of these nappies to work for us overnight as I cannot afford to spend any more money on night nappies (or any other nappies for that matter :( )

Any ideas as to a boosting solution for us?

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Re: Outweeing her night nappies.

Postby babyroo » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:27 pm

Is the whole nappy soaking wet when you take it off? Or is the problem that the wee has leaked out of the legs before being absorbed into the nappy?

With that much boosting it may be that you need to go up a size in the couche cover to make sure that the nappy is completely covered. Also with that much boosting, the nappy could be pushed away from the legs so that there is a gap for the wee to just pour out of. Wool longies or shorts which cover part of the legs instead of just a wrap might help with that.

What materials are you using closest to her skin? Hemp is a very absorbent fabric, but it is slow to absorb, so shouldn't be the top layer closest to baby as it will likely pour out the sides before being absorbed. I would always use a cotton or bamboo layers on top of hemp.

Has your couche cover been lanolised enough? The more times it has been lanolised the better it wll perform.

Hopefully some of that will help.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:51 pm

Hi,

Thanks for your reply.

I don't think the wrap size is a problem as its massive on her (the wings can touch in the middle!!). It might require more lanolising as I haven't done any more to it since it was bought (pre-lanolised). Have to admit to looking at longies/shorties instead. Just gotta convince DH.

According to DH, the wee issoaking through the nappy at the back (back sleeper, and not much of a wriggler whilst asleep) and not coming out through the legs.

In the Huggle, we have terry under the built-in booster, directly behind the fleece then 2 hemp boosters between the nappy and the wrap (new arrangement for tonight).

We'll have to see how she goes tonight.

Thanks

Tanya

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:58 pm

It does sound like it might need more lanolising then. I lanolise my wool about once a month, but I have a few pairs in use, so if you are using them all the time it will need doing sooner. Also if it had been washed well before you got it, a lot of the lanolin would have been washed out.

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:02 pm

Fabulous :D I have some lanolin and can re-do the wraps. We have 2 we use in rotation with a fleece Tots wrap.

My avatar
Heather London
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Heather London » Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:29 pm

Is it possible that you could have detergent buildup on the nappies. This can reduce absorbency.

A lot of modern machines dont rinse very well so as to conserve water. I rinse before washing nappies and give an extra rinse at end.

There are other ways to strip detergent out of nappies but sorry i dont know them. Sure someone else could help here.

My avatar
rhead
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby rhead » Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:12 pm

It sounds like you're committed to wool/fleece for nighttime, but would you consider using a PUL wrap? I meant to try fleece wraps at night for my 2nd baby but couldn't work up the courage... we use Air-flow wraps at night and have never had a leak, even when the entire nappy has been wringing wet in the morning (well, apart from once when the wrap was a bit low in the back so the top seam or whatever you call it was touching the nappy and it wicked a bit). We don't have any problems with nappy rash or redness; I just tuck in a fleece liner to keep her skin reasonably dry. Maybe a toss-up between wanting to use wool and not wanting to do so much laundry! :wink:

My avatar
tanya
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby tanya » Fri Mar 07, 2008 1:43 pm

Yeah, we used to use PUL before we changed over to wool/fleece and it wasn't too good for her as her bum is quite sensitive and kept going really red.

I've rewashed and lanolised the wrap, but they still keep getting damp under her bum. I guess it's mostly down to her not moving very much at night. The nappies seem to be fine.

I'm gonna make up some Lanisoh based lanolising mixture tonight and see if that helps more. I was just using spray lanolin, but I'm thinking now that's probably for topping-up in the month rather than re-lanolising after washing, if that makes sense.

Things are getting better and DH has stopped complaining about having to wash her sheets and gro-bag in the morning, so it's ok for now.

Thanks for the advice peeps.

My avatar
babyroo
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby babyroo » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:27 pm

Yes the lanolin spray is just for topping up the lanolin between proper soaking in lanolin. That would explain your problems!

Next

Return to Night Nappies