Help!

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Help!

Postby zoeyboo » Tue May 04, 2010 8:41 am

Hi Ladies,

I'm really beginning to worry about our cloth use overnight ...

Rufus has been a pretty good sleeper since he was born, always giving us 2 chunks of 4 hours to begin with & now goes down at 7.30pm, we wake him for a feed at 11pm and then that's it til 7pm when I get him up, 1st feed at 7.30am. He often wakes between 6am-6.30am but is very easy to settle back to sleep til 7am.

... but in the last couple of weeks he has begun to wake a number of times for no apparent reason, around 2am, then from about 5.30am it's constant waking & settling til 7am ... I am shattered :( he is tired, falling back to sleep before 9am (usually was 9.30 he'd go back for a nap) ... he isn't hungry I don't think & is relatively easy to get back to sleep, either stroking his head or a dummy, I'm starting to wonder if it's the wet nappy?

His night nappies are always absolutely sodden ... we've used dedicated NN since 6 weeks as he's a heavy wetter especially at night & normal nappies just won't cut it. His small bedbugs were fine until he outgrew them, his Mediums were ok to begin with but are now sopping (the worst of all I think) I add a LL Bamboo between the nappy & wrap but this is soaked too, his WNNN's are slightly better but not much again I add the LL Booster, and his LLS Night with Zorb are by far the best of the 3 types but still very wet, again I've started to add the LL outside. I don't get leaks as my Thirsties wraps keep it all sealed in, but I worry that it's uncomfortable & waking him, they are SO heavy when I take them off. I've tried fleece but as he doesn't move at all he soaked through it, his PJ's, his sleeping bag & a blanket I'd put under him ... :cry: so that doesn't work for us ... I think wool would be the same but don't want to spend that sort of money to try.

I've not tried sposies & don't really want to but am starting to wonder if he'd sleep better ...
please help!

My avatar
Vicki
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Re: Help!

Postby Vicki » Tue May 04, 2010 8:49 am

Oh no - you have tried loads and sounds like you are going down the right route. Maybe someone could lend you some woollies?? But I dont think it would be the answer if wetting through the fleece soakers. If the Thirsties work would keep up with them or try a motherease air rika.

Hope you get some sleep soon :hug: :hug:

Vickix

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Tue May 04, 2010 8:50 am

I wouldn't use bedbugs on a heavy wetter, too much mf in them, Gracie isn't a heavy wetter and they are very damp on the outside on her in the morning.
We didn't use nn's at that age but from what people have said young babies can be heavy wetters but this eases off as they get older.
Ems @ Puddlekins can custom make a nappy for you, you weigh the nappies he is wearing and she will adjust absorbancy to suit. Lucious Little Somethings night nappies are great as well as are WIldchild xx

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Tue May 04, 2010 8:53 am

Hi Vicki,

I think that about wool ... don't want to try as don't think it will work until/unless he starts to move more.
I have the ME Airflow & Rikki, they both work ok too .. I'm not getting leaks with my wraps at all, it's more the wetness of the nappy that is worrying me & whether this is disturbing him

I think I'm coming to that conclusion Kirsty ... I think the HL BB's are going to have to go, maybe i'll try a custom another time with no MF ... I'll have to beg Beth to fit me in for another LLS Night & see if Ems can make me a puddlekins ... do I weigh it before when dry & then when wet?
Last edited by zoeyboo on Tue May 04, 2010 8:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
Louise
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Louise » Tue May 04, 2010 8:54 am

Are any of your NNs fleece or minkee lined? The wetness touching his skin might be bothering him. You could try putting a huge fleece liner in so it covers the whole of the nappy. Fleece or wool would probably help if you could get it to work. What sort of fleece soaker were you using? Ones with a double layer at the crotch would probably be best. I think I'd try and get hold of a preloved wool soaker to try - wool can absorb 30% of its own weight before starting to feel wet on the outside so you might be surprised. :wink:.

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Tue May 04, 2010 9:04 am

I'm not so sure it's anything to do with his nappies. It's normal and healthy for babies to wake frequently during the night (amongst other things it's a safety mechanism) and three months is a classic growth spurt and increased night waking period. Could it be that?

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Tue May 04, 2010 9:36 am

Hi Louise,

My LLS are either fleece or minkee lined they seem to bother him the least, the WNNN are Minkee & the bedbugs are OBV but I use a fleece liner, but that doesn't cover the whole inner ... I think the bedbugs are going to have to go.

The soaker was a pumpkin pants, so had the double layer ... I'm off on hols soon with Sally (princessliana) think her DD has some wool so maybe I'll try one of hers ... but not holding out too much hope, maybe when he's older & wetting less heavily?

My avatar
zoeyboo
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby zoeyboo » Tue May 04, 2010 9:37 am

Hmmm wonder if it is so do with a growth spurt?
I am new to this all, babies & cloth, so no idea what's normal & what isn't!

My avatar
Shaunie
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby Shaunie » Tue May 04, 2010 11:57 am

nappynutter wrote:I'm not so sure it's anything to do with his nappies. It's normal and healthy for babies to wake frequently during the night (amongst other things it's a safety mechanism) and three months is a classic growth spurt and increased night waking period. Could it be that?

WSS - there's sooooo many variables at this age where sleep is concerned so it may ot be the nappies at all :hug:

Next

Return to Night Nappies