Me again :o(

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Me again :o(

Postby megansmummy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 4:50 pm

:x I could really really cry atm :(

well if anyone has followed my night nappies saga posts you will know that I have been trying to get kieren into night nappies compltly for ages but everytime we go completly into night nappies we get rashes...

Well guess what?
The rash is back :( seriously im so frustrated :(

I have tried minki pockets, puddlekins, WNNN's, ecobubs, UD soy, well stuffed GM's, prefolds...just about anything i can think of to try and ditch the rash :( absorbancy isnt really much of an issue but it just seems that being in a nappy for that long is the culprit :( I have stripped the nappies and liners, i rinse twice after each wash atm to try and rid all the detergent residue, double lined them (so they are in the nappy and also out the legs)...we use wool at night, have also tried fleece. The only one i havnt tried is a LLS night nappy and I have 3 slots booked but i dont know that I want to shell out £30 for a night nappy just for the same thing to happen :(

The minute i use a sposie at night the rash clears up.

I dont expect anyone to have any more advice as i seem to have picked your brains so many times about this :( Grrrrrrrrrrrrr :cry:

My avatar
beffys
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Re: Me again :o(

Postby beffys » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:01 pm

Tory the pass a nappys are finished and think Amber has posted to me so will be sent out to you early next week probably. I have to sort a page for the shop for them and work out how long to lend them for per person and how to mitigate the risk of them getting lost so that people sign up and agree to send back or send on recorded. Think the stitching is all red on the inside so pretty obviously a bit different. I think yours was a rather absorbent set up from memory as was mostly bamboo hemp fleece and zorb. The only thing that worked when we had rashes at night was wall to wall minkee lining and I've no idea why it only happened with fitted and PUL, but with wool always much better. :roll: Sometimes there's just no logic to it, pretty weird though that a disposable makes that much difference. Think a lot of people a stay dry layer like minkee or fleece helps though. Not sure how much of a difference in the inner fabric combos would make to it, but with your club it's worth working out the best combination for you.

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:07 pm

I've seen something similar in babies new to cloth nappies. Disposables are not breathable so toxins tend to build up in the skin which are then released when the baby starts wearing cloth nappies which are breathable. After a week or so it goes way. I wonder if it's something similar. Perhaps the disposable nappy is just stopping his skin from releasing a toxin build up which may be nothing to do with cloth nappies or perhaps he just needs to wear cloth at night long enough to get past that stage or perhaps he needs to be changed during the night more often.

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby lazylexis » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:13 pm

What happens if you do alternate nights with cloth and disps?nature babycare nappies are advertised as being breathable.not sure what to suggest.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:34 pm

nappynutter wrote:I've seen something similar in babies new to cloth nappies. Disposables are not breathable so toxins tend to build up in the skin which are then released when the baby starts wearing cloth nappies which are breathable. After a week or so it goes way. I wonder if it's something similar. Perhaps the disposable nappy is just stopping his skin from releasing a toxin build up which may be nothing to do with cloth nappies or perhaps he just needs to wear cloth at night long enough to get past that stage or perhaps he needs to be changed during the night more often.

He has been in cloth since he was 3 weeks old...and we never had a problem at night, maybe his wee could be stronger now that he is older? He is a hurrendous sleeper and we have only in the last 2 months got past him waking every 20-40mins max (due to milk allergy) and im loathed to wake him to change him really :oops: hes very difficult to settle once he wakes in the night and its been a really really rough road.

I meant to add that I have tried the barley water too...we did that last week and he wouldnt drink it :roll: He does however drink water really well.

Beth, thanks hun, perhaps it will make a difference...his nappies are always either fleece or minkee lined despite what the nappy is actually made with if that makes sense? maybe i need bigger liners? i have WN ones atm.

Ali, that works fine but then as soon as he has a night back in cloth he is rashy again.

I dont suppose anyone knows if any other foods he eats might effect it? we have totaly cut out cirtud fruits as it added to the rash problem...He does love strawberries though? maybe i ought to cut those out?

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Thu Jun 03, 2010 5:52 pm

megansmummy wrote:He has been in cloth since he was 3 weeks old...and we never had a problem at night, maybe his wee could be stronger now that he is older? He is a hurrendous sleeper and we have only in the last 2 months got past him waking every 20-40mins max (due to milk allergy) and im loathed to wake him to change him really :oops: hes very difficult to settle once he wakes in the night and its been a really really rough road.

I meant to add that I have tried the barley water too...we did that last week and he wouldnt drink it :roll: He does however drink water really well.

Beth, thanks hun, perhaps it will make a difference...his nappies are always either fleece or minkee lined despite what the nappy is actually made with if that makes sense? maybe i need bigger liners? i have WN ones atm.

Ali, that works fine but then as soon as he has a night back in cloth he is rashy again.

I dont suppose anyone knows if any other foods he eats might effect it? we have totaly cut out cirtud fruits as it added to the rash problem...He does love strawberries though? maybe i ought to cut those out?

I assume you changed him during the night when he was little though? And yes, it could well be diet related if he was fine before solids especially as he has allergies.

ETA: It might not be a food allergy.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:02 pm

Have you tried barley water hun? if it needs be that he wears disp overnight to stop his rash then maybe you should do tht hun Its only one per day save you a lot of worry :hug: must be hard xxx

My avatar
nappynutter
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby nappynutter » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:11 pm

You've probably answered this before but -

Where is the rash exactly?
What does it look like?
What allergies do you know about?

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Thu Jun 03, 2010 6:23 pm

I assume you changed him during the night when he was little though? And yes, it could well be diet related if he was fine before solids especially as he has allergies.
Where is the rash exactly?
What does it look like?
What allergies do you know about

Yes he was changed at each feed when he was smaller. The rash is all over his bottom (like he has sat in red paint)...on his boy bits and it follows his bottom crease all the way up his back, its a really red patch like rash, not raised but angry looking. As far as we know its just milk but avoiding the citrus helps...although the dietitcian didnt seem concerned about that, nor did she tell us to avoid it...i just do (the citrus that is) he has alot of soya.

Sara, i tried the barley water last week hun but he wouldnt drink it :(

Next

Return to Night Nappies