flexitots leaking at night - advice much appreciated

My avatar
monkeypickle
Clothie
Clothie

flexitots leaking at night - advice much appreciated

Postby monkeypickle » Mon Jun 21, 2010 5:31 pm

Hi

I am new to cloth nappies and are using flexitots with motherease wraps. They are doing great in the day for our daughter, no leaks at all. We are struggling at night though with leakage and wondered if anyone could give me any ideas how better to manage this. Can I stick with the flexitots or am I going to have to try something else?

I have tried putting little lamb bamboo boosters in, one in the nappy and one between the nappy and the wrap also. I even doubled up the booster in the nappy to fold it so that the absorbency was maximised at the back as this is where the wet patches are. No joy with that either although leakage was less I suppose. Does anyone have any other ideas?

Cheers
Monkeypickle

My avatar
Bobble
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Re: flexitots leaking at night - advice much appreciated

Postby Bobble » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:14 pm

My dd is 17months old and we used the size 2 flexitots for daytime and they would last us no more than a couple of hours max. She is a heavy wetter, but I would think they would need serious boosting to last through the night unless your baby is a very light wetter.

We use night nappies from weenotions, luscious little somethings and puddlekins for night time (and occassionally for day if I know we are going to be out and about for a bit :oops: ) and even if the nappy is wet in the morning, the fleece wrap is dry and they have never leaked - fingers crossed! :)

We're pretty new to cloth and I'm sure others will be able to advise you better on the different night options.

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:21 pm

Like pp said, it sounds like you need a dedicated night time nappy. Weenotions & Holden's Landing bedbugs are a good place to start & it's easy enough to find them on classifieds. A fleece soaker will defo work better than a pul wrap but wool is the best for night time

My avatar
Emma1977
Cloth Nappy Passionata
Cloth Nappy Passionata

Postby Emma1977 » Mon Jun 21, 2010 6:45 pm

monsterm wrote:Like pp said, it sounds like you need a dedicated night time nappy. Weenotions & Holden's Landing bedbugs are a good place to start & it's easy enough to find them on classifieds. A fleece soaker will defo work better than a pul wrap but wool is the best for night time

WSS. I used Flexi-tots during the day with DS and they lasted about 2 hours (but he is a heavy-wetter). For night time I would recommend:
1. Weenotions Night Notions (you can get plain bamboo ones for about £12 if you don't want to pay a lot for pretty nappies), 2. Holdens Landing Bedbugs - gorgeous nappies that are expensive bought new but they come up on Classifieds often. Wouldn't recommend them for night time use on an older baby who is a heavy-wetter tho as Max outpees them in about 3 hours so I use them during the day.
3. Luscious Little Somethings - fantastic nappies which you can customise to suit your absorbency requirements. They don't come up on Classifieds very often and they start at round £18 new but Beth runs a nappy club where you can trial one out for a few weeks: http://www.lusciouslittlesomethings.com/passanappy.html
4. Puddlekins: haven't tried one yet but heard great things and again you can customise them to suit your own needs.

I would also use fleece or wool at night as they will help stop clothes and bedding getting wet. Fleece is cheaper but not as reliable as wool as is also hotter in the summer :wink:

If you do need to boost then anything bamboo or zorb will be good.

HTH :D

My avatar
monkeypickle
Clothie
Clothie

Postby monkeypickle » Mon Jun 21, 2010 7:55 pm

Thank you so much, your replies are very helpful. This is a complex business!!! I will have a look at the nappies you mention and no doubt be back with more questions I suspect. Thanks again, I was beginning to give up. Oddly enough, in the day we are doing good with the flexitots. My DD is 8 months but only 9lbs 12, so very tiny of course. Maybe they won't be so great when she is older / bigger. These were the ones we were recommended by a nappy service ironically! I have so much to learn. Cheers. :)

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Mon Jun 21, 2010 9:14 pm

Your little girl is only 9lbs 12 :shock: Goodness she's very wee isn't she? Was she a premmie?

Her size rules out the nappies we mentioned because they start at higher weights. Babies generally don't need specific night nappies until they are a few months old & they are generally heavier by then. Small bedbugs start at 10lbs. They might fit depending on her other measurements. You could get a custom night nappies made by puddlekins or Luscious little somethings. They are a bit more expensive but they are tailor made to your babies size & absorbancy needs so they will last a long time.

My avatar
monkeypickle
Clothie
Clothie

Postby monkeypickle » Tue Jun 22, 2010 4:15 pm

Thanks monsterm. Yes, I had twin girls born at 29 weeks. Tragically we lost our eldest daughter shortly after our girls were born but our youngest daughter survived and is doing well. Still tiny although she is probably 10lbs now, 9lb 12 was just under two weeks ago when she was weighed at the hospital.

Thanks, will have a think about having some made. It takes me ages to look into this stuff these days! Thanks again for your help. I do want to get it right.

Return to Night Nappies