hf1

It's 5am and I'm considering night cloth...

My avatar
SilverMorag
Clothie
Clothie

It's 5am and I'm considering night cloth...

Postby SilverMorag » Thu Jul 22, 2010 5:20 am

I started using cloth fullish-time during the day this week.I was planning on continuing to use disposables during the night forev-- I mean, for just a little bit longer. *Thinks "Phew, that was a close one" and wipes brow* However, one of my babies is on his THIRD disposable tonight after waking up after each and every wee. One disposable used to see him through from bedtime till morning! I'm not sure what the issue is: increased consciousness of urination due to daytime cloth, or perhaps the new design of Pampers Active Fit. The important issue is that no-one's gaining any sleep as a result of using disposables. It's more a case of Environment 0 - Morag's Family 0. Quite a different kettle of fish, indeed.

So I'd like night nappy advice, please. I'll post some relevant information to help later.

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: It's 5am and I'm considering night cloth...

Postby tiyuricc » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:02 am

Sorry you're having a hard time of it.

Cloth at night is certainly something to consider, but don't expect it to be a magic fix. I started my son in clot at 6 months, and as soon as i put coth on him at night he started waking up, so i very quickly put him back in sposies which he stayed in for nights until he was dry at night a few months ago.

My daughter has been cloth bummed since birth, including nights and it doesn't seem to bother her at all... maybe because she know no different.

I'm sure someone will come along soon with much more knowledge than me about night nappies - i'm still using bg's (with better inserts) for clara, but i know other people recommend fitted nappies with a wrap or wool for heavy wetters. Dedicated night nappies are more expensive. You could have a look at weenotions, puddlekins or luscious litle somethings to start with.

Perhaps buying from the classifieds might be a way of trying a few different ones without spending a fortune. You can then always resell them if they don't work for your little one.

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Thu Jul 22, 2010 6:57 am

If its any consolation the new active fits are terrible, if you go to the pampers website its littered with negative coments/complaints about the new dry max active fits. I use a disp at night as we have tried cloth at night with Kieren and for one reason and another it just doesnt work at all...

But I loved Weenotions night notions teamed with wool for nights, they were our best night nappy ever and I used them with my daughter too with no problems!

My avatar
SilverMorag
Clothie
Clothie

Postby SilverMorag » Thu Jul 22, 2010 12:00 pm

tiyuricc: yeah, I suppose we could continue having the same issue :coffee: But at least I wouldn't feel guilty about the environment, if you see what I mean. I find guilt hard to cope with on little sleep; I am, of course, happy to dismiss the environment if my abuse of it increases my sleeping time. Then again, if a reusable leaked during the night, that would be so much worse...

megansmummy: they really, really are! We ran out of old style active fits at the beginning of this week, and I'm suddenly making connections between them and son 2's increased wakefulness. Course, it could be a coincidence/due to the day time cloth/ developmental phase. I also can't remember whether son 2 started waking up on the first night after we opened the new pack. But I'm suspicious... Like I said before, the old Active Fits used to last an entire night.

My avatar
SilverMorag
Clothie
Clothie

Postby SilverMorag » Thu Jul 22, 2010 1:07 pm

Okay, a bit of background. Apologies if this stuff is irrelevant.

We EC, using nappies as back-up. During the day, we use a mixture of terries+wrap, itti bittis, and OneLife one sizes. The boys are 13 months old. The OneLifes may have been a bad buy- my sons get builder's bum.* I'm presently only using the outermost poppers because of my sons' chubbiness. Which may be why my sons keep removing the OneLifes so easily! (Son 2 is very good with undoing Aplix too. :) )

So a night nappy needs to be easy to get off, and then on again, so that night-time pottying is as easy as possible. (Especially important for son 1.) I think we're looking for an all-in-one or pocket fitted, with lots of room in the poppers.

*EDIT: solved this problem. Now I love my OneLifes again!
Last edited by SilverMorag on Thu Jul 22, 2010 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.

My avatar
michebe
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby michebe » Thu Jul 22, 2010 2:24 pm

My favourites are Weenotions Night Notions, with Wool Longies over, the longies serve as pj bottoms as well as a nappy cover meaning you only have the nappy and the trousers to take off. I have never found pockets to work with mine overnight although i think some people use pocket minkis but i think they are aplix.

My avatar
timtam
Clothie
Clothie

Postby timtam » Fri Jul 23, 2010 11:06 pm

I found the WNNN very fiddly to take off and put on again...all those layers of inserts....Standard Minki pockets are brilliant, they are usually aplix but you can request poppers if ordering brand new from minki nappies website. I've bought all mine preloved and they are all aplix although I prefer poppers....

My avatar
indigosky2k
Cloth Nappy Disciple
Cloth Nappy Disciple

Postby indigosky2k » Sat Jul 24, 2010 5:53 am

You say you're EC and your DS's are 13 months, I'm thinking the problem maybe as you said in your original post and that it's due to greater awareness at night. We have used EC with my DD and she would wake at night, I suspect when she wee'd. She is however at 15 months now dry at night :wine: though we still pop a night nappy on due to the odd night she'll wee, usually I suspect in the early hours of the morning when she has a feed, or nights where she has extra water or milk.

I'm not sure how easy it is to tell in a sposie, not having used them since DD was about 2 months old, but can you tell how wet they are in the morning if they haven't woken due to being wet? I'm just thinking if they're very dry, DD was probably having just one wee a night by 13 months, I wouldn't bother buying special night nappies. We just put DD in a normal day nappy and don't even bother with a cover. That way I can tell when she has wet and get her to the toilet. She goes a good 12 or 13 hours without using the toilet, or occasionally gets up between bedtime and midnight and 'asks' to use the loo before going back to sleep.

My avatar
SilverMorag
Clothie
Clothie

Postby SilverMorag » Mon Jul 26, 2010 11:30 pm

I'm still not sure- I'm trying to run an experiment, but excluding the variables is... difficult. I've mostly been using Boots Active Stretch at night since, and son 2 is now waking up less. However, in the last month, son 1 now seems to wake before he wees at least 50% of the time, in order for me to take him to the potty. (I hasten to reassure you all that I honestly don't mind being woken up before a wee.) That suggests that son 2's waking may be partially developmental.

I can always tell whether they've weed in disposables- the volume of wee is such that you can feel the nappy has swelled up/feel the squishy gel, depending upon brand.

Ah well, bright side- called up Pampers, and they're sending me vouchers. So, I can go the night time cloth route, or I could try different types of Pampers, or... The possibilities are multiple, and many of them involve more fluff!

Return to Night Nappies