Any hope for a side sleeper?

My avatar
kittenwithawhip
Clothie
Clothie

Any hope for a side sleeper?

Postby kittenwithawhip » Fri Sep 03, 2010 6:41 pm

Can any one help me?
My DD is a heavy wetter, co sleeps and as she's teething is on an all-night feedathon. So she pretty much sleeps on her side all night. Result = wet patches in my bed most mornings. :(

She's in either a WNNN, HL Bedbug or a zorb boosted Huggle, with a TotsBots fleece wrap over. The nappies are soaking in the morning.
The WNNN seem to be a bit gappy at the legs so I may move on from these as I think her early morning wees are just running out of the gaps, but I'm getting morning leaks from all the nappies I've tried.
I think one of my problems is getting a good enough fit with the TB wraps. I struggle and readjust about 4 or 5 times to get them fitting right but I suspect that eventually a small gap opens up and then the wee just wicks out.

So, finally, questions:
Do you think a soaker would be better - because it has no gaps for wee to wick out of, or is this just compression leaking because she won't move away from my boob all night?
If it's compression, can I boost the side of her nappies somehow - maybe between the nappy and soaker?
Can you suggest anything else?

Sorry for all the questions. I've been lurking for ages trying to work out what to do. My DS used to happily go overnight in an unboosted TotsBots so this is all new (expensive) ground for me!

My avatar
Velvetsteph
Cloth Nappy Clanger
Cloth Nappy Clanger

Re: Any hope for a side sleeper?

Postby Velvetsteph » Fri Sep 03, 2010 8:54 pm

I'm afraid I think you need to find a better fitting night nappy if you've got gappy legs - sorry if that's not what you wanted to hear...
As you're co-sleeping can you swap sides in the night to ensure she changes position e.g. onto her other side?
Or roll her back onto her back once she's finished feeding?

Wraps do need to fit well too but if the nappy isn't absorbing the wee in the first place there aren't many wraps that will contain wee...

Alternatively stick a hippychick mattress protector under her while she's going through this grown spurt (4months is a classic I'm afraid)

My avatar
Bluebell
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby Bluebell » Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:32 pm

My DD used to sleep on her side too (now she sleeps on her front) and we just use Wonderoo V1s with the MT insert plus a P'tits Dessous to boost. We've only had one leak so far! Touchwood! I looked into night nappies and decided they are very expensive and to try this route first. So far so good!

My avatar
mrspumpkin
Cloth Nappy Groupie
Cloth Nappy Groupie

Postby mrspumpkin » Sun Sep 05, 2010 1:22 pm

i think i used a normal fitted nappy (tots bots or little lambs) then wrapped a terry square around. and a wool cover. i did have a time when i couldn't get any of the nappies to work overnight- so i used disposables for a while. then tried cloth when ds was older.

My avatar
kittenwithawhip
Clothie
Clothie

Postby kittenwithawhip » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:01 pm

Thanks all for your advice. I've seen sense and ditched the WNNN - they're just the wrong shape for us. :cry:
We've had 2 successful nights :wine: with a HL Bedbug and then a EP Bumble boosted with a bamboo terry and a zorb booster - they both fit snugly round the legs and the wraps fit better over them too.
We cosleep with DS as well (very big bed!) so I can't swap sides, but I've been trying to roll DD over after a feed (with varying success!).
As a last measure I'm going to make some fleece soakers so that they fit her perfectly and I don't have to piddle about readjusting velcro wraps 15 times at bedtime.

Thanks helping me avoid the really expensive night nappies!

My avatar
little1
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby little1 » Sun Sep 05, 2010 2:43 pm

Looks like you've got this sorted but i would really recommend you get some wool shorties or longies, they work really well over fitteds, you could even use them over a wrap during the winter as an extra layer of protection x

My avatar
malina
Cloth Nappy Lover
Cloth Nappy Lover

Postby malina » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:28 pm

we are co-sleeping, and LO loves sleeping on her side since she was born;)
for the first 7months more less every nappy was fairly ok. THen, hey ho, we needed another solution;) extra stuffings. when we were away we tried disposables which was terrible experience, pee was leaking through the legs, we had to put a pul cover over it :giggle: THen i discover wool! I love it and not sure why i haven't try it before!
And my little tip. sometimes is better to put an extra insert, booster on the outside of the nappy, and wool cover over it. No leg gaping then;)

My avatar
123princesssammie
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Postby 123princesssammie » Mon Sep 06, 2010 3:38 pm

Hey, I have a medium wool soaker in the classifieds for £6 I could also include a little tester pot of lanolin for a little extra, it's perfect for nights as the main wet zone areas are a double layer of wool and the legs roll down to around knee length if wanted so extra protection around legs (which is wear my lo always leaked from being a side sleeper aswell before I used this) pm me if interested x

My avatar
kittenwithawhip
Clothie
Clothie

Postby kittenwithawhip » Mon Sep 27, 2010 9:20 am

Quick update - wool is amazing! Thanks to 123princesssammie :hug: enabling me with a soaker we've been dry at night ever since. :D No more wrestling Martha to get a perfect fit around the legs with my old fleece wraps and all I need to do now is work out how to wash and lanolise them. :lol:

Return to Night Nappies