Boosting beyond belief.help

My avatar
emma tully
Clothie
Clothie

Boosting beyond belief.help

Postby emma tully » Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:58 am

im new-ish to cloth nappy tree,so hello :wave:
im struggling so much getting a nappy to last all night, at the moment we are using a fluffle boosted with(wait for it...) a bumgenius microfibre insert,3 little lamb bamboo boosters and a cotton booster!!!! :hohoho:
seriously, poor baby is rolling around the bed like a weeble,no babygro poppers over tht gigantic crotch!
im thinking,there has to be a better way. ive ordered 5 ellas house bumhuggers,as a friend told me she uses them at night,and am hoping to only have to boost lightly with skinny bamboo,going to use airflow wraps,as we arent getting on with fleece at all,her pj's are always damp and our room always smells a bit of wee whn we use fleece,bought fleece wraps prelovd and they are rather flat and bald,maybee thats why?
just looking for a bit of input really,thanks ladies :hug:
ps baby is 8 months, breastfeeds lotsat night, sometimes sleeps on her side squashed up against me or her dad. we use bumgenius during the day,boosted with one ll bamboo booster and they last 3-4 hours.
:bf: :babyroll: :crochet:

My avatar
lazylexis
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Re: Boosting beyond belief.help

Postby lazylexis » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:03 am

sounds like you probably need a dedicated night nappy now, we did from about 6 months. There are lots of options. I would avoid microfibre at night as well and stick to bamboo or hemp for boosting in preference to cotton. Some we found worked well are - standard minki stuffed with ptit dessous insert(s) and some easy peasy hemp underneath, puddlekins night nappies, luscious little something night nappies, wee notions night nappies. you may be able to pick some up on the classifieds here. We couldn't get bumhuggers to last us overnight.
wool is definitely better than fleece for us.

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:10 am

:wave: and welcome to the tree!

My initial thought are that you're using a day nappy, rather than a proper night nappy, and you're using a microfibre day nappy at that. I'm not surprised it needs that much boosting, really. By the time my DD was 8 months old we were having to boost proper night nappies with hemp; you're doing really well to get a day nappy to last all night. :) Changing to Bumhuggers should definitely help. They're largely hemp, so much better absorption than microfibre. The fleece wraps might benefit from being thrown in with a normal wash with some fabric conditioner, to aid their repelling properties. We use wool at night, which is magic stuff and works a treat for my heavy wetter. Much easier to care for than you'd first think and definitely worth a go. ;)

My avatar
Kirstyh
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox
Cloth Nappy Chatterbox

Postby Kirstyh » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:12 am

I agree with Lexi, sounds like you need a dedicated night nappy. Fluffles are micro fibre which squishes out wee so not the best and they are really bulky.
We use Luscious Little Somethings (LLS), Puddlekins (PK), and Wildchild night nappies (WCNN), DD isn't a heavy wetter though, never has been. Bamboo with hemp underneath is the best insert combo we have found.
Have also just got not long ago a Goodmama night nappy which I am liking.
I love fleece at night, we usually just use fleece pj's and that is it, no wrap or anything but also use wool as well xx
:wave: :wave: Welcome

My avatar
megansmummy
Cloth Nappy Goddess
Cloth Nappy Goddess

Postby megansmummy » Thu Oct 07, 2010 9:17 am

We arnt using night nappies at the moment but when we were we used Weenotions night notions (WNNN's) and they are affordable and absorbant :)

http://www.weenotions.co.uk

ETA i second the wool thing at night, we only ever used wool and it was fab :wine: (never tried fleece overnight though so cant coment on that)

My avatar
emma tully
Clothie
Clothie

Such a warm welcome.

Postby emma tully » Thu Oct 07, 2010 10:59 am

thanks ladies, how nice to recieve such a warm welcome :D
yes, i realsie now that its a bit foolhardy and optimistic of me to expect a day nappy to cope with an all night milkdrinking wee factory :hohoho:
the fluffles were also preloved and i think not as absorbant as they once were,seem to have det. build up that i just cant shift as they smell so strongly of wee in the morn.
so the ellas house are an ok choice? they seemed like a nice absorbant nappy that dont cost a bomb, my jaw nearly hit my laptop when i saw the price of some night nappies!!!
when you say boost with bamboo then hemp underneath, do you mean stuff it all in the nappy or lay the hemp between nappy and wrap?i find with heavy boosting in the pocket of my fluffles, theres a bit of a gap at her legs,coz the nappies just so huge.
thanks again for such amazing input and advice, im one of very few clothie mamas in my circle,the mamas that do use reusables have been lured into the world of chunky cloth bums by me :wink: so i dont have anyone to guide me so to speak.
if i could afford uber expensive night nappies,which would be the best in your opinion?
ps my little toadstood is a chunky girl,she was 9lb born and has continued to be big as grows,so she would prob fit a nappy for an older chil IUKWIM :wave:

My avatar
Soupdragon
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Site Supporter

Postby Soupdragon » Thu Oct 07, 2010 11:25 pm

Have a look at the washing nappies board for some tips on how to do a strip wash. It might help although, in my experience, night nappies tend to honk of amonia no matter how you wash them - I guess because of how long they're worn for and how much pee there is in them. I just whip them off and get them in the nappy bucket as quickly as possible and try not to breathe while doing it! :giggle:

The Ella's house aren't a bad buy. We always had to boost ours but, like I mentioned, my DD is a very heavy wetter. We certainly couldn't use them now. :giggle:

Boosting can be done either inside the nappy or outside it - doesn't matter which, just make sure thath the fit of the nappy itself isn't compromised by boosting. And make sure that your quicker absorbing fabric is the top layer of any boosting you use (so bamboo on top of hemp or MF on top of bamboo, whichever you prefer to use).

As for good night nappies, it depends what you're after. A WAHM (work at home mum) nappy will always cost more than something you can get at a nappy retailer. Non-WAHM night nappies that you might consider could be Baby Behinds or Swaddlebees OS (we used both of these from when Iris was about 12 weeks old and I always had to boost them). WAHM nappies do tend to cost more, but do tend to preform better. And there are hundreds! We have used:

Holden's Landing Bedbugs (from the US though)
Hollow Oak
Flutterby Fluff
Upsy Daisy (no longer made, although Amber - who made them - now works with Beth of Luscious Little Somethings and those nappies are meant to be good, too)
Puddlekins
Wee Notions

Those are all fitteds. I know some people prefer a pocket and have used standard Minkis (by Nappies by Minki) with great success as the pocket for stuffing is huge.

Just had another thought. Rather than using huge amounts of boosting, you could always just use two day nappies at night. Sounds mental, but it works ;)

Return to Night Nappies