Newborn dad friendly night nappies?

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Newborn dad friendly night nappies?

Postby ramsons » Wed May 07, 2008 10:41 am

Hi
I need some advice on night nappies. Dh is currently doing night nappies and is using disposables. He's agreed to switch to cloth if I find him something easy to use that is one piece (we're using various different two part during the day). I don't have a tumble drier so I want something thats easy to dry or not going to break the bank if I have to buy alot of them.
Any suggestions? It needs to be pretty bullet proof if i'm to get dh to swop. We're currently up once or twice in the night for feeds.
Thanks
Jenny

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Re: Newborn dad friendly night nappies?

Postby Rae » Wed May 07, 2008 10:44 am

Standard minkis are good pocket nappies for nights, so they are quick to dry depending on the inserts you use. They are aplix fastening, so certainly daddy friendly. They are bulky nappys (their downside), but all good night nappies are on the bulky side.

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Wed May 07, 2008 11:31 am

Thanks I'll have a look at these. :)
In the collection of day nappies we've been using i've a couple of aplix totsbots but these are dh's least favourite nappy as they're the bulkiest, and the least well fitting. DH is fine with nippas in the day but won't consider any faffing about with 2 parts at night! He complained about some of the birth to potty nappies (me & swaddlebees) we're using in the day being too bulky on newborn, but i'm hoping he'll complain less with night nappies as we've got lo in those nighties with the elasticated bottoms at night.

Minki's are fleece on the outside? do they feel slightly damp like wool?
I've got some bumhugger&bimbles in the day collection, so might have to watch dh gets them the right way round!

My avatar
JanX
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby JanX » Wed May 07, 2008 12:01 pm

I would recommend minkis too!

they are pocket nappies so you can pre stuff them for him! they are fleece inner and outer with a layer of something (not sure if it is pul or something else :oops: ) so , no they don't feel damp like wool does!

They are a bulky nappy though but imo all night nappies are bulky!

I have found the minkis to be bombproof!

jan x

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Wed May 07, 2008 12:15 pm

Bombproof sounds good! Do they come with insets or will I need extra?
How many do you reckon I'd need for a newborn?
LO is about 10lb at the moment so he'd be in smallest size for a few more weeks I think.

My avatar
Rae
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman
Cloth Nappy Wise Woman

Postby Rae » Wed May 07, 2008 12:57 pm

You need to buy inserts. They come up quite large, so I think you would be looking for the small size at the moment. Put a wanted add up, because there is a lot of them floating about in good condition. Minki make their own inserts, but you can get away with stuffing them with whatever is at hand. We use a microfibre insert on top of hemp, but with a small baby you wouldn't need all that.
Actually we also used a bumgenius with it's microfibre insert and en easypeasy hemp insert until Kayleigh was about a year old.

My avatar
Heather London
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby Heather London » Wed May 07, 2008 1:11 pm

Hi

I have several minkis for sale - see viewtopic.php?f=59&t=6154

The insert which comes with the small minki is for days. But the hemp inserts that I have for sale at the end for 3 pounds each would do nights well - some people like to wrap around a microfibre cloth for quick absorption.

I think the medium Lollipop pocket at 2.50 would also do nights well - it is a good deal at 2.50 if I say so myself! :lol:

Feel free to PM me if you are interested or would like to ask any more questions.

Heather

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Thu May 08, 2008 9:44 am

Go on then! :) I've pm'ed you x

My avatar
charliesam
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby charliesam » Wed Jun 04, 2008 7:29 pm

Hi, I have a 12 week old boy who weighs about 11ibs and still feeding about every 3-4 hours. I use slinki minkis in the night stuffed with a cotton prefold and microfibre/hemp insert and can miss changing him for 1 feed so he is in it for upto 8 hours. It is bulky but if prestuffed would be easy to use for dad and we have never had any leaks or dampness- in fact he feels v dry and could probably leave for longer! Everything else I have tried (mainly shaped nappies and wraps) haven't leaked but have been saturated and his skin wet and slightly red after about 5 hours, the only other thing that works aswell is the same stuffing in a blueberry one size pocket.

Next

Return to Night Nappies