hf1

I am at a loss.

My avatar
pinksalmon2001
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: I am at a loss.

Postby pinksalmon2001 » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:31 pm

choccylisa wrote:Thing is, he eats enough already :giggle: He eats nearly as much as my 6 year old and easily as much as my 3 year old! Trying to cut the bottles out overnight is absolutely a must, but I'm having major difficulties in doing it :oops: He uses the bottle to settle overnight (not when falling asleep in the evening though), and any amount of trying to offer water instead now overnight results in screaming.

Have you tried changing an oz at a time of the milk to water so over a matter of days/weeks the milk that you are offering at night is gradually becoming water? Or gradually reducing the amount you give him oz at a time so he would eventually be down to 1oz and then nothing. No other ideas i'm afraid as T is generally happy with water on the rare occasions that he wakes up :hug:

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:38 pm

I tried with giving DD water a few weeks back and she cried, and like you I was giving her a bottle for an easy life, but once I went back to work I knew I couldn't keep getting up every night, and she was unsettled even after the bottle sometimes, so it was a vicious circle. My health visitor told me that I should see an improvement after 3 nights, so I prepared myself mentally for no sleep for 3 nights if necessary, and although I also don't believe in controlled crying I felt that it was in DDs best interests as well as mine if I could break the habit of a bottle in the night. I found the book helpful in starting the process, but then I did have 3 nights where DD cried a bit when I didn't offer her milk, but she worked it out really quickly and as I say we have never looked back - if she wakes in the night now she settles with just water and it normally only takes 5 mins, but most nights she doesn't wake at all. She has also stopped needing to be rocked to sleep at night, and is happy in her cot for longer in the mornings too - as I said I was totally sceptical but I am amazed at how well it worked - maybe do what Kerry suggests and then once he is taking less try offering water at night for 3 nights, if it doesn't work you can go back to bottles, but you might find you don't need to... good luck!

My avatar
paintedclaws
Cloth Nappy Fanatic
Cloth Nappy Fanatic

Postby paintedclaws » Wed Nov 10, 2010 8:40 pm

I would suggest what Kerry has said. Noah was peeing so much at one point and we had to cut his bedtime drink down because not even a superwetter could cope (he's outpeed his wool ones on occasion) on him.

He now has a small beaker of squash/juice before bed and still pushes his nappy to the edge. Poppy has a 6oz bottle to help her settle and that generally settles her but she doesnt wee like Noah and is fine in a bedbug.

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Wed Nov 10, 2010 10:23 pm

I've tried cutting down the milk powder in the water before but it was a while ago, maybe I'll give it another try. I think I'll probably have to put up with this until dh has the week off tho, he finds it extremely difficult to get back to sleep once woken :roll:

Is Annabel still in a cot or in a bed? We've put Kellan in his toddler bed so he just climbs out if he doesn't get milk :-? Might change it back for a week :giggle: Have made a booster tonight with hemp and some zorb so will see if that works. otherwise I'll be hounding Emma at Puddlekins for the first slot after Christmas :hohoho:

My avatar
Miss_Purple
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby Miss_Purple » Thu Nov 11, 2010 1:18 am

Annabel is still in her cot. When I did the water thing I would go in her room, take her out and sit with her on my lap offering water, if she cried I just cuddled, sang, eocked etc and offered water again until she gave up. It took nearly 3 hours the first night ( she cried from frustration more than anything, but not for the whole time), 2nd night was more like 1.5 hours and 3rd night it was about 30 mins, now if she wakes it's more like 3 mins :-)

My avatar
choccylisa
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby choccylisa » Thu Nov 11, 2010 7:42 am

Well, even with two layers of zorn and two hemp last night he still leaked :-? Was in the LLS hw nn too. He did however spend pretty much the whole night in his own bed though :D So we're winning in some things and not in others. Have ordered the no sleep training for toddlers and preschoolers, thought I'd see if that would help at all. Also cut his powder back an ounce in his bottles last night, didn't notice so will try that approach too. If it doesn't work will wait until dh is off between Christmas and New Year to just go cold turkey :giggle: Thanks everyone!

My avatar
monsterm
Cloth Nappy Worshipper
Cloth Nappy Worshipper

Postby monsterm » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:11 am

Only the puddlekins and lls wool super wetters work for us at night & they just barely get us to half 6. She is soaked in the morning but she sleeps through & she doesn't leak so I'm happy with that.

My avatar
littlesez
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Supporter

Postby littlesez » Fri Nov 12, 2010 9:27 am

I have hw PK and hw LLS and whilst they are our best bet thy are still saturated and some nights we have wet sheets :( Izzy has started having BF and bottle before bed, don't know how that happened!

If i want dry sheets i use a large minki pocket with large UD bamboo insert folded in 3, small UD insert folded in 2, a LL booster and a P insert.

but its annoying! i want to use my fancy night nappies and wool! booooo

i reckon if i dropped the bottle it might help :roll:

Previous

Return to Night Nappies