hf1

Smelly night nappy - any insert that will help?

My avatar
masheater
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Smelly night nappy - any insert that will help?

Postby masheater » Tue Mar 15, 2011 6:46 am

Hi guys

I have read a similar post at length about barley water so might give that a go but I wandered if there were any inserts you could get that help absorb these odours?

In my career as a nurse (now gone!) we used charcoal dressings for smelly wounds which was great and I'm thinking there must be something out there that does similar for cloth nappies?

If not we should invent - who's with me on making a million? :D

Thanks peeps

My avatar
tiyuricc
Sucker for Cloth Nappies
Sucker for Cloth Nappies

Re: Smelly night nappy - any insert that will help?

Postby tiyuricc » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:25 am

Unfortunately I think night nappies do tend to smell, and I'm not aware of anything that will really stop it. The best advice I'd have is to do a strip wash if you haven't already as the build up of detergents in the fabric seems to make them smell worse. I think people have a few different ways of doing a strip wash, but I tend to just do a normal nappy wash then keep doing rinses until the water isn't bubbling any more. Although my machine seems to be rubbish at rinsing so there's always some bubbles left but virtually none. Takes about 4 rinse cycles for me.

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:35 am

We found that fleece and microfibre and hemp were the worst for smell. We ditched them for a couple of reasons and once in bamboo and wool it wasn't as bad. But think about it - night urine is more concentrated, it does smell more (bet your first wee of the morning smells stronger!) so the nappies will too.

My avatar
MrC
Cloth Nappy Guru
Cloth Nappy Guru
Site Admin

Postby MrC » Tue Mar 15, 2011 7:55 am

How about this?

http://www.bamboovillage.com.au/product ... cts_id=171

A charcoal fish tank filter bag from your local pet store would likely do the same job too if you don't fancy Australian postage .

Charcoal production is carbon neutral and encourages tree planting too, so its a perfect complement to cloth nappies.

My avatar
justme123
Cloth Nappy Addict
Cloth Nappy Addict

Postby justme123 » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:19 am

Don't oven filter liners have charcoal in them? Could you cut one of those up and put it in a nappy / between nappy and wrap? Could probably only use it once though.

My avatar
dawnsmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby dawnsmummy » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:45 am

Wash them with a dishwasher tablet and rinse rinse rinse :) Ours are due one soon. I can post you a couple of dish washer tabs if you like? (I just got a box from poundland :giggle: )

My avatar
masheater
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby masheater » Tue Mar 15, 2011 10:57 am

Thanks people for your replies! I like to think my nose is pretty tough to smells but it's recently really bad and makes me gasp lol. Even hubby has noticed and his sense of smell is rubbish! Did a strip wash fairly recently and do a full wash after each load now with no powder in as well as using just a tablespoon of powder so pretty sure it's not build up. And they don't smell during the day. I washed all my wool covers and re lanolised them thinking that might be related.
When you say fleece makes it worse do you mean liners too? If so what do you use to line the nappy instead? I tend to use slimma stuffas for night so maybe I'll try a diff combo as they have microfibre in.
Thanks again all!

My avatar
ladybird
Cloth Nappy Aficionado
Cloth Nappy Aficionado

Postby ladybird » Tue Mar 15, 2011 11:23 am

Doesn't matter where the fleece or microfibre is, it holds the smell. We didn't bother with liners, didn't see the point.

My avatar
masheater
Cloth Nappy Follower
Cloth Nappy Follower

Postby masheater » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:01 pm

If the wee smells strong, shouldn't I have a liner to keep the damp away from his skin?
And for me liners are good for poo removal especially teethy time when then don't just roll out of the nappy. Sorry if tmi :wink:

Next

Return to Night Nappies