Stuffing problems

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Stuffing problems

Postby ramsons » Wed Jun 25, 2008 11:02 am

Hi
I seems to be having problems with my pockets. At night we're using minkis. I have one small secound hand minki with minki insert that I have no problems with. I've got some new mediums which are a little big (ds is about 13lb) eg if I do ds last bf in them and he wees it leaks round the leg.
Biggest problem I'm having though is that the minkis (and I've tried using medium weenotions also as they fit ds better at the moment) seems to be leaking out the pocket at the back. Ds sleeps from 10pm to 4-5am and when I'm picking him up at 4am his back is wet out the top of the pocket, and its wet through his clothes and bed sheets. Inside the nappy he's fine bum is dry and no redness etc.
Has anyone else had this problem? Am I possibly folding the stuffing wrong, not prewashed it enough?? I don't knwo what to do. I'm using new hemp and hemp with bamboo boosters. its been prewashed but not alot. Also the inserts seem to be wet at the back, and dry or barely damp at the front
any help appreciated
jenny

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Re: Stuffing problems

Postby eviesmummy » Wed Jun 25, 2008 12:00 pm

Hi Jenny - It sounds like the hemp hasnt reached its full absorbancy, plus because hemp isnt the fastest at absorbing wee it is coming out the back of the nappy. I always used a microfibre insert or even microfibre cleaning cloth (Tescos value ones at £0.89 for 3 are great) on top of hemp so that it catches the wee quickly then lets it absorb into the Hemp, which will hold a lot of wee once its up to full absorbancy. Also, if you make sure that the insert is well tucked into the nappy, and pull the inside fleece up very slightly so that it is sitting just above the back of the nappy too, it means it is less likely to leak out the back.

Ive found that Hemp takes a lot of washes to get up to full absorbancy, perhaps 10 or more, plus Minki Nappies are generously sized, so perhaps still a bit big.

HTH - Sadie xx

My avatar
ramsons
Cloth Nappy Nutter
Cloth Nappy Nutter

Postby ramsons » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:01 pm

Hi Sadie
Thanks for your help. I washed all our hemp with every washing load going. I haven't had a chance to get to a supermarket but found some microfibre cloths in our local pound shop (I had no idea what a microfibre cloth was - i was firmly stuck on cotton mesh dishcloths!).
Anyway result was he is now wearing minkis for 11 hours with no leakage. I'm so pleased!!! :)
I'd used ellas house hemp nappies and sugar peas before and not had to prewash so I couldn't work out what was going wrong before.
Anyway thanks again, success :D :D
Jenny

My avatar
eviesmummy
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk
Cloth Nappy Ninky Nonk

Postby eviesmummy » Sun Jul 06, 2008 8:25 pm

Result!! :wine:

Return to Night Nappies